none
WPF using WCF vs ServiceStack

Question

• Dear ll,

I need to build a service oriented application with WPF client.

I have use a lot WCF when talking about services architecture. Then I come up by someone to check the ServiceStack.net open source framework.

Does anyone of you have experience on it and guide me on which one is best to use of point to avoid in servicestack compare to WCF ?

Usually in a production environment for enterprise scenario I used to avoid open source framework due to lack of support and update.

Any experience to share ?

regards

Monday, September 10, 2018 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi wakefun,

The answer based on an article:

WCF:

"Basically, WCF is a service layer that allows you to build applications that can communicate using a variety of communication mechanisms. With it, you can communicate using Peer to Peer, Named Pipes, Web Services and so on.

You can’t compare them because WCF is a framework for building interoperable applications. If you like, you can think of it as a SOA enabler. What does this mean?

Well, WCF conforms to something known as ABC, where A is the address of the service that you want to communicate with, B stands for the binding and C stands for the contract. This is important because it is possible to change the binding without necessarily changing the code. The contract is much more powerful because it forces the separation of the contract from the implementation. This means that the contract is defined in an interface, and there is a concrete implementation which is bound to by the consumer using the same idea of the contract. The datamodel is abstracted out."

"should use WCF when we need to communicate with other communication technologies (e,.g. Peer to Peer, Named Pipes) rather than Web Service"

ServiceStack:

ServiceStack is a simple, fast, versatile and highly-productive full-featured Web and Web Services Framework that’s thoughtfully-architected to reduce artificial complexity and promote remote services best-practices with a message-based design that allows for maximum re-use that can leverage an integrated Service Gateway for the creation of loosely-coupled Modularized Service Architectures. ServiceStack Services are consumable via an array of built-in fast data formats (inc. JSON, XML, CSV, JSV, ProtoBuf, Wire and MsgPack) as well as XSD/WSDL for SOAP endpoints and Rabbit MQ, Redis MQ, Azure Service Bus and Amazon SQS MQ hosts.

Its design and simplicity focus offers an unparalleled suite of productivity features that can be declaratively enabled without code, from creating fully queryable Web API’s with just a single Typed Request DTO with Auto Query supporting every major RDBMS to the built-in support for Auto Batched Requests or effortlessly enabling rich HTTP Caching and Encrypted Messaging for all your existing services via Plugins.

Your same Services also serve as the Controller in ServiceStack’s Smart Razor Views reducing the effort to serve both Web and Single Page Apps as well as Rich Desktop and Mobile Clients that are able to deliver instant interactive experiences using ServiceStack’s real-time Server Events.

ServiceStack Services also maximize productivity for consumers providing an instant end-to-end typed API without code-gen enabling the most productive development experience for developing .NET to .NET Web Services.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:51 AM