Open PowerPivot or PowerView in Visual Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can I access the PowerPivot/PowerView reports in Visual Studio?

Are there any API's available for this?

Monday, July 7, 2014 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

I am afraid there is no such API available to open power pivot or power view in visual studio. But one thing you could do is , import the power pivot to SSAS tabular model project in SQL Server Data Tools

Import from PowerPivot (SSAS Tabular)

But you will not be able to export the model from SSAS tabular model to Power Pivot in excel.

By the way bit curious to know on what you are trying to achieve by opening power view or power pivot in visual studio ?

Best Regards Sorna

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:46 AM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Hi Rameshwar,

According to your description, since we cannot create Offline Cubes from PowerPivot for SharePoint & Tabular Mode, now you are looking the APIS that allow to open PowerPivot orPowerView reports in Visual Studio, right?

As Sorna said,there is no such API available to open power pivot or power view in visual studio. And I am afraid there is no other workarounds to achieve this feature currently. If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedbackand hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

I am afraid there is no such API available to open power pivot or power view in visual studio. But one thing you could do is , import the power pivot to SSAS tabular model project in SQL Server Data Tools

Import from PowerPivot (SSAS Tabular)

But you will not be able to export the model from SSAS tabular model to Power Pivot in excel.

By the way bit curious to know on what you are trying to achieve by opening power view or power pivot in visual studio ?

Best Regards Sorna

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:13 AM
    Monday, July 7, 2014 11:15 AM
  • Hi Sorna,

Thanks for your quick reply.

Actually my aim was to create the Offline Cube from Multi-dimensional Model & we have even created it but there are some limitations like

so that's why I was thinking of using some (.NET) Windows application(Local/offline) to be connect to Power-Pivot/Power-View in order to get Offline use.

As we can not create Offline Cubes from Power-Pivot for SharePoint & Tabular Mode.

Are there any workarounds?

Monday, July 7, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Hi Rameshwar,

According to your description, since we cannot create Offline Cubes from PowerPivot for SharePoint & Tabular Mode, now you are looking the APIS that allow to open PowerPivot orPowerView reports in Visual Studio, right?

As Sorna said,there is no such API available to open power pivot or power view in visual studio. And I am afraid there is no other workarounds to achieve this feature currently. If you have any concern about this behavior, you can submit a feedback at http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedbackand hope it is resolved in the next release of service pack or product. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, Microsoft might consider to add this feature in the following release after official confirmation.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 10, 2014 9:13 AM