Cannot open web project which is configure to use IIS RRS feed

• Question

• I constant get the following error when I try to load existing web project in Visual studio

"The Web Application Project is configured to use IIS. To access Web sites on the local IIS Web server, you must run Visual Studio under an Administrator account." 

It started happening after I had to re-install IIS because of metabase corruption. I have already tried following

1. create and re-create application in IIS
    2. register aspnet using aspnet_regiis
    3. I am already member of adminstrators group I also added aspnet to administrator group, no luck
    4. I have tried repairing Visual studio 2008 and still same issue appears

I am using XP SP3, Visual Studio 2008 Team System and IIS 5.1. I have Visual Studio 2005, Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Studio 2010 installed on my machine.

Please help.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 9:34 AM

Answers

• Right click the Visual Studio 2008 shortcut and then select "Run as administrator"
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hello Regmi,

You may right-click the shortcut(Visual Studio) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> "Run this program as an administrator" to have it worked.

In addition, you could also post on asp.net forum which will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:00 AM

All replies

• Right click the Visual Studio 2008 shortcut and then select "Run as administrator"
    Ewald - Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Ewald Hofman
    Blog: www.ewaldhofman.nl
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hello Regmi,

You may right-click the shortcut(Visual Studio) -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> "Run this program as an administrator" to have it worked.

In addition, you could also post on asp.net forum which will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Send us any feedback you have about the help from MSFT at fbmsdn@microsoft.com.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 11:00 AM
  • Right click on project, Edit .csproj file, and replace following tag

<IISUrl> http://localhost/site </IISUrl>"; with "<CustomServerUrl> http://localhost/site </CustomServerUrl>"

This will work , project load and debug as admin.

• Proposed as answer by Jamesbou Monday, August 26, 2013 7:54 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:52 AM