How to get the field being changed from sharePoint "ItemUpdated" ? RRS feed

• Question

• I have the sharePoint event handler like this,

public override void ItemUpdated(SPItemEventProperties properties)
    {
    //Send a mail once the "Status" field  changed.
    }

this method only will send a email if the sharePoint list's "status" field changed, will not be sending emails if any changes happens for other fields... I need to fire the event handler only when "status" field changes. how I can do this. now event is firing whenever I make changes to any field.

Any idea.
    Vimal

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, June 18, 2010 7:35 AM not general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, June 18, 2010 7:21 AM

Answers

• You need to work with After and Before Properties as shown in below example, thus based 
    on change you can cancel the event.

public override void ItemUpdating(SPItemEventProperties properties)
    {
       if (properties.BeforeProperties["column"] != properties.AfterProperties["column"])
      {
        properties.Cancel = true;
        properties.ErrorMessage = "This column cannot be changed";
      }
    }

Source http://www.synergyonline.com/blog/blog-moss/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=25

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure
    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:20 AM

All replies

• You need to work with After and Before Properties as shown in below example, thus based 
    on change you can cancel the event.

public override void ItemUpdating(SPItemEventProperties properties)
    {
       if (properties.BeforeProperties["column"] != properties.AfterProperties["column"])
      {
        properties.Cancel = true;
        properties.ErrorMessage = "This column cannot be changed";
      }
    }

Source http://www.synergyonline.com/blog/blog-moss/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=25

Thanks
    Akhilesh Nirapure
    Friday, June 18, 2010 8:20 AM
  • Thanks Akilesh

it never go inside "IF" loop as properties.BeforeProperties["Offer Status"] and properties.AfterProperties["Offer Status"] are null aways regardless of what the fields value I change.

Thanks 

Vimal

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:44 AM