EW 4 - The Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 provider is not registered on the local machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have made many (many) website in EW 2 and they all work fine)

I have just downloaded Expression Web 4.

and I see this error

The Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 provider is not registered on the local machine.

I have looked all over the internet and still can't find an answer to this question which it seems MANY people have.

I create a simple access database (mdb) with one table (table1).  In that table there are two fields (NameID, NameText).

I imported it into my EW 4 site.

Then created

I simple gridview like this and it works fine in LocalHost but as soon as I put it on the web I get the error about

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <%@ Page Language="C#" %>
    <html dir="ltr" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head runat="server">
    <meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type" />
    <title>Untitled 1</title>
    </head>

<body>

<form id="form1" runat="server">
    	<asp:AccessDataSource id="AccessDataSource1" runat="server" DataFile="forms_data.mdb" SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Table1]">
    	</asp:AccessDataSource>
    	<br />
    	<asp:GridView id="GridView1" runat="server" AutoGenerateColumns="False" DataKeyNames="NameID" DataSourceID="AccessDataSource1">
    		<Columns>
    			<asp:BoundField DataField="NameID" HeaderText="NameID" InsertVisible="False" ReadOnly="True" SortExpression="NameID">
    			</asp:BoundField>
    			<asp:BoundField DataField="NameText" HeaderText="NameText" SortExpression="NameText">
    			</asp:BoundField>
    		</Columns>
    	</asp:GridView>
    </form>

</body>

</html>

Does "anyone" know the answer please.

I am running on Windows 7, 32 but laptop (so there is no need to change the IIS).

I have spent 3 days of my life on this.  Can some one help.

Monday, September 26, 2016 4:22 PM

Answers

• Were your other sites on the same machine, also using Access databases and the same asp.net framework? If so, they should behave the same. But did you change one or more of those variables: machine, using Access or not, or asp.net framework version?

Woops - I just re-read your post.  You only get the error on your published site?  You need to ask your host what the problem is - it has nothing to do with your machine.  Do they support Access databases? 

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by JaneHollin Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:43 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Heh, heh... yeah that has nothing to do with your OS or IIS. In fact, I have run pages using Access 2007 mdb and accdb files from EW (and from my online provider's server), and my OS is an x64 system. Has to be something at your provider's end, so call their tech support, or open a support ticket, and get them to look at the problem.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:13 AM

All replies

• Were your other sites on the same machine, also using Access databases and the same asp.net framework? If so, they should behave the same. But did you change one or more of those variables: machine, using Access or not, or asp.net framework version?

Woops - I just re-read your post.  You only get the error on your published site?  You need to ask your host what the problem is - it has nothing to do with your machine.  Do they support Access databases? 

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

• Edited by KathyW2 Tuesday, September 27, 2016 3:59 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2016 7:03 PM
  • Heh, heh... yeah that has nothing to do with your OS or IIS. In fact, I have run pages using Access 2007 mdb and accdb files from EW (and from my online provider's server), and my OS is an x64 system. Has to be something at your provider's end, so call their tech support, or open a support ticket, and get them to look at the problem.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:13 AM
  • Thank you both.

3 days I have spent on this - 3 days of my life gone. :-(

You know what's like.  You always assume it MUST be something you have done.
    I do know how to make a website but I just assume it must be my coding.

Hmmmm

In fact the server was posting to port 80.  I don't know why and neither do they.  But after a phone call they fixed in a few minutes.

Thanks again.
    • Edited by JaneHollin Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 5:45 PM