Board fields do not show correct values on TFS 2015 Update 1 OnPremise RRS feed

• Question

• We are using TFS 2015 Update 1 on premise.

The new Board Fields "Board Column Done" and "Boad Lane" are not correct in most cases!

The "Board Column Done" shows "False" or nothing - but this does not represent the Doing oder Done State.

The "Board Lane" only is set for the Default lane and empty in all other cases.

When this is a problem with our template - how may I fix it.

TIA,

Andi

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 11:35 AM

Answers

• Hi there,

my solution was to duplicate the team and set the new team as default team.

By doing this I lost all dashboards, board customizations, team queries - this was much work.

I wanted to add a Product Management Team which has a wider view.

By adding this the default team again looses the control over the board fields.

Updating the Board fields behind the scenes with a algorithm is NOT a good solution!

Please add a setting to select which team writes those board fields to the work items!

Thank you,

Andi

• Marked as answer by duck42 Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:18 PM
    • Edited by duck42 Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:19 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:17 AM

All replies

• Each team has a board, showing all the items on that board assigned to the area paths the team owns. You can define which area paths the team owns when you configure the team.

Although we don't recommend this approach, but the product doesn't stop you that multiple teams owns the same area path. This is especially true with the option when "sub areas are included". Today when you create a new team, this option is turned off by default, but in the past this was the default.

And this is where the issue starts. The product will remember per team in which column the item is, but to expose the board column it could only have one value. We have chosen to use the shortest path algorithm to determine which team owns that item and subsequently which team updates the board columns. This option will ensure that there is no ping-pong effect on the board column when multiple teams are updating the same item on their boards.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 4:58 PM
  • Hi there,

my solution was to duplicate the team and set the new team as default team.

By doing this I lost all dashboards, board customizations, team queries - this was much work.

I wanted to add a Product Management Team which has a wider view.

By adding this the default team again looses the control over the board fields.

Updating the Board fields behind the scenes with a algorithm is NOT a good solution!

Please add a setting to select which team writes those board fields to the work items!

Thank you,

Andi

• Marked as answer by duck42 Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:18 PM
    • Edited by duck42 Thursday, December 17, 2015 12:19 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2015 11:17 AM