Order of custom activity designers loading RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to know the order my custom activity designer loads? Alternatively is there a way from a custom activity designer get it's parent activity/workflow and handle it's Loaded or some "before load" event?  

Here's why I'm asking...

I have a couple of custom activity designers that kind of rely on each other. For example...

My first one is called "Initialize Provider" where you enter a connection string and also define a provider key (used by other designers to reference), like a reference key or id.

My other ones have a combobox on it that would have a list of provider keys (aka reference key or ids) to choose from.

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:51 PM

Answers

• One possible idea for getting your activity designers to communicate, without having to reference each other directly:

Try leveraging EditingContext.Services.Publish<MyService>(myService1) and EditingContext.Services.Subscribe<MyService>() to detect when the service becomes available. [MyService is your 'ConnectionProviderService' or whatever you wish to call it.]

Your service can expose property changed or collection changed events to let service subscribers listen for changes to the available keys for maintaining up to date combo box items.
    Tim
    • Edited by Tim Lovell-Smith Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:33 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by LeoTang Monday, June 25, 2012 3:08 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:33 AM

All replies

• One possible idea for getting your activity designers to communicate, without having to reference each other directly:

Try leveraging EditingContext.Services.Publish<MyService>(myService1) and EditingContext.Services.Subscribe<MyService>() to detect when the service becomes available. [MyService is your 'ConnectionProviderService' or whatever you wish to call it.]

Your service can expose property changed or collection changed events to let service subscribers listen for changes to the available keys for maintaining up to date combo box items.
    Tim
    • Edited by Tim Lovell-Smith Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:33 AM typo
    • Marked as answer by LeoTang Monday, June 25, 2012 3:08 AM
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 1:33 AM
  • Nice idea, I'll give it a try, thanks!
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Ok so I had a chance to try it... this was exactly what I was looking for! This is very cool. Thank you so much! Your blog rss feed is now on my list ;-)
    Saturday, June 23, 2012 7:19 AM
  • Monday, June 25, 2012 4:16 PM