SSNS - problem with sending emails on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I create a web application that uses SSNS to send notification (on e-mail )when a certain data is being inserted to my aplication's database.
    Everythings works fine with Windows XP as an OS, but the probles started when I tried to run my application on my laptop with Vista - simply - Notification Service Instance won't send Emails ( DeliveryStatusCode is 4)

I haven't got a foggiest idea what could be wrong because:
    • file notifications in my web application works fine both on vista and xp
    • email notifications works fine on xp and won't work on vista - I've  backuped a database and copied an aplication from my old computer with xp OS on vista laptop,created a new instace of NS and run one - ADF and ICF files remained unchanged so the problem in my opinion can't be with incorectly defined smtp protocol sections in configuration  files
    • I suspect that the reason of the problem is vista
    I've spent hours trying solve this problem. Could anyone help me and say what's wrong? Do I need to run something or configure on vista (Ultimate Version) - if yes what and how?

--
    king regards
    Friday, April 25, 2008 11:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Mannee -

If it's working with XP but not Vista it's got to be Vista related. I don't use Vista myself, so I'm going to be somewhat hampered in offering any assistance. But I'll try.

Do you have the SMTP service running on Vista? Have you looked in the event viewer to see if there's any information in there? What about turning on verbose logging in the SSNS config file? Try that?

As an aside, SSNS doesn't use Database Mail.

HTH...

Joe

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:00 PM
  • Thanks Joe for your reply!

Following your advise I checked my Vista Event Viewer and I found there 2 errors (concering SSNS problems with emails):

• <EventData>
        <Data
      A delivery failure was reported. EventParameters: Distributor ID: 1 Distributor Name:<mycomputername>Delivery Channel Name: EmailChannel Notification ID: 4 Notification Class Name: <myNotificationClassName> Notification Status Info: The e-mail address or SMTP server value is not valid. SMTP Server: Message Recipients: <someaddress>@gmail.com Notification Text: <html> <body>< ... rest of the body..
      DistributorName: <mycomputerName> Thread: 5</Data>
        </EventData>
    • <EventData>
        <Data>Description: The e-mail address or SMTP server value is not valid. EventParameters: SMTP Server: Message Recipients: <someaddress>@gmail.com Description: The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. Description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Description: The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. InstanceName: <instanceName> Component: Other ComponentDetails: ComponentName: SmtpProtocol Thread: 5</Data>
        </EventData>
    So, do you have now any idea what's wrong and how can I fix this?

P.S Indeed SSNS doesn't use Database Mail (to be a 100% shure I've checked this on my XP -computer using two instaces of SQL Server - one with configured Database Mail profiles and one without any configuration)

greetings,
    Mannee
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:50 PM
  • Thanks Joe for your reply!

Following your advise I checked my Vista Event Viewer and I found there 2 errors (concering SSNS problems with emails):

• <EventData>
        <Data
      A delivery failure was reported. EventParameters: Distributor ID: 1 Distributor Name:<mycomputername>Delivery Channel Name: EmailChannel Notification ID: 4 Notification Class Name: <myNotificationClassName> Notification Status Info: The e-mail address or SMTP server value is not valid. SMTP Server: Message Recipients: <someaddress>@gmail.com Notification Text: <html> <body>< ... rest of the body..
      DistributorName: <mycomputerName> Thread: 5</Data>
        </EventData>
    • <EventData>
        <Data>Description: The e-mail address or SMTP server value is not valid. EventParameters: SMTP Server: Message Recipients: <someaddress>@gmail.com Description: The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. Description: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. Description: The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid. InstanceName: <instanceName> Component: Other ComponentDetails: ComponentName: SmtpProtocol Thread: 5</Data>
        </EventData>
    So, do you have now any idea what's wrong and how can I fix this?

P.S Indeed SSNS doesn't use Database Mail (to be a 100% shure I've checked this on my XP -computer using two instaces of SQL Server - one with configured Database Mail profiles and one without any configuration)

greetings,
    Mannee
    Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:52 PM
  • SSNS doesn't send the notifications directly, rather it hands the notifications off to a delivery channel. In the case of SMTP, that means it hands it off to an SMTP server.

It sounds like you are attempting to use the local SMTP server on Vista. I don't have any experience with Vista so I won't be of much help here.

You can try sending to another non-Vista SMTP server as long as you have permission to send.

HTH...

Joe

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 9:22 PM