none
http streaming using WMSP, Describe request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am implememning a WMSP streamer, following are implementation details:
    1. HTTP1.0, pipeline mode == false
    2. Server: Rex/11.0.6002.18049 ( Windows Media encoder )
    3. Microsoft's NetworkMonitor & the WMSP parser are used to verify to verify data integrity
    4. Windows Media Player @ Win7 is used for testing

In response to the describe request I return the $H packet with the asf header, however, Windows Media Player returns "windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file".

The request sent by WMP looks like this:
    GET /VideoOnly.asf HTTP/1.1
    Accept: */*
    User-Agent: NSPlayer/12.0.7600.16385
    Host: 192.168.10.13
    X-Accept-Authentication: Negotiate, NTLM, Digest, Basic
    Pragma: version11-enabled=1
    Pragma: no-cache,rate=1.000,stream-time=0,stream-offset=0:0,packet-num=4294967295,max-duration=0
    Pragma: packet-pair-experiment=1
    Pragma: pipeline-experiment=1
    Supported: com.microsoft.wm.srvppair, com.microsoft.wm.sswitch, com.microsoft.wm.predstrm, com.microsoft.wm.startupprofileAccept-Language: en-US, *;q=0.1

And my response look like this ( dumpped with NetMon ):
    - Http: Response, HTTP/1.0, Status Code = 200, URL: /VideoOnly.asf
        ProtocolVersion: HTTP/1.0
        StatusCode: 200, Ok
        Reason: OK              
        Server:  Rex/11.0.6002.18049
      + Pragma:  no-cache, client-id=4, features="broadcast,playlist"
        Connection:  Keep-Alive
        Cache-Control:  no-cache
        ContentLength:  795
      + ContentType:  application/vnd.ms.wms-hdr.asfv1
        HeaderEnd: CRLF
        payload: HttpContentType =  application/vnd.ms.wms-hdr.asfv1
    - Wmsp: WMSP1.1 $H Header packet
      - HeadPacket:
       + FramingHeader: $H Header packet
       + HeaderType: LocationId = 0 ; PacketSize = 783
       - ASFHeader:
        - ASFHeaderObject:
         + HeaderObjectHead: Number Of Header Objects = 5
         + FilePropertiesObject:
         + StreamBitratePropertiesObject: BitrateRecordsCount = 1
         + StreamPropertiesObject: StreamType = ASF_Video_Media ; ErrorCorrectionType = ASF_No_Error_Correction
         + ExtensionObject:
         + ExtendedContentDescriptionObject: ContentDescriptorsCount = 1
          ObjectID: {75B22636-668E-11CF-A6D9-00AA0062CE6C}
          ObjectSize: 50 (0x32)
          FileID: {DC6D5205-5F1C-430B-B2B6-1C89BD5624DB}
          TotalDataPackets: 0 (0x0)
          Reserved: 0x101, SHOULD be set to 0x0101

On the flow specified @ section 4.11 of the WMSP specification WMP returns error after the $H Packet is returned in response to the describe request.

* The ASF Header I return doesn't contain the ASF_Codec_List_Object node, does this node is mandatory? couldn't find specification saying it is...
    * Sniffing around using NetMon I have noted that the ASF_Codec_List_Object doesn't exist on the raw ASF header found part of the ASF file, BUT, is added to H$ packet in response to the describe req on runtine, each codec entry of the ASF_Codec_List_Object has an 'pInfo' field of codec specific information, for video it is the fourcc value, But, for audio... I couldn't find out what it is... and I couldn't find any relevant specification describing that... assuming the ASF_Codec_List_Object is mandatory, what should the audio codec specific info be ?

What am I missing here? why does WMP result "windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file"? is there any real way to identify what is wrong with the response I return ?

Any help will B appreciated

• Edited by Nadav Rub Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:46 AM
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 7:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Nadavrub,

Thanks for your question regarding MS-WMSP.  One of the Open Specification Documentation support team will be in touch with you shortly to assist you.

Best regards, Tom Jebo Senior Support Escalation Engineer Microsoft Open Specification Documentation Support
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:16 AM
  • Hi Nadavrub:
    My name is Obaid Farooqi and I will be helping you with this issue. If you have any further question/clarification, please post to this thread. I'll be keeping you updated with my progress as appropriate.

Regards,
    Obaid Farooqi
    Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:42 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Nadavrub:
    The error you mentioned is returned if Windows Media player can not open the file. Having said that, I am answering based on very limited information. I need network trace to start investigating the problem. 
    Please let me know your email address so that I can send you info how to send me the trace.
    Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 5:03 PM
    Owner
  • I can sennd you the ".cap" tracing network traffic monitored by NetworkMonitor, my addr is @nadavrub_AT_gmail_DOT_com@

Nadav Rubinstein, http://www.sophin.com
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 6:10 AM
  • This matter is being handled off-line through e-mail. Once a final resolution is reached, I'll post a summary in this thread.
    Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Friday, January 8, 2010 8:34 PM
    Owner
  • Customer reported in an email that he solved the problem on his own. The solution was not described in any detail by the customer.
    Regards, Obaid Farooqi
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 7:40 PM
    Owner
  • hi. Nadavrub

Pragma: no-cache,rate=1.000,stream-time=0,stream-offset=0:0,packet-num=4294967295,max-duration=0
    Supported: com.microsoft.wm.srvppair, com.microsoft.wm.sswitch, com.microsoft.wm.predstrm, com.microsoft.wm.startupprofileAccept-Language: en-US, *;q=0.1

I don't know how can you send that request. Maybe, you open WMP, select Menu File/Open URL... and what URL you set at dialog box.can you help me how did you make it? thank you very much.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 8:19 AM
  • hi. Nadavrub

I don't know how can you send that request. Maybe, you open WMP, select Menu File/Open URL... and what URL you set at dialog box.can you help me how did you make it? thank you very much.

Anybody can answer it? It's long.
    Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:04 AM