none
Windows 10 msxml3.dll does not work with Visual Studio 6 MSDN Library October 2001

Question

• After installing Windows 10, my MSDN Library (from Visual Studio 6, October 2001) reports scripting errors on most pages. After debugging the error, the problem is that the MSXML.DOMDocument ActiveX control cannot retrieve an XML file (embedded in the Help Collection). The version of the msxml3.dll/msxml3r.dll files is MSXML 3.0, 8.110.10586.494 (sizes 1,902,592/3,072 bytes). The previous version of these dll files works fine - version MSXML 3.0 SP11, 8.110.7601.23373 (sizes 1,885,696/2,048 bytes). I verified that the older version works and the new version fails by renaming each set of files to msxlm3.dll and msxml3r.dll and opening the MSDN Library. When I navigate to the JScript Reference page, under the older versions of the files, the page displays without error. After renaming the new versions of the files in, navigating to the JScript Reference page pops up an error dialog indicating: Line: 56 - Error: Unable to get property 'text' of undefined or null reference.

To find out if you have the correct version, search your Windows drive for msxml3.dll and look for on that is 1.81 MB in size.  I found mine in a folder beginning with \Windows\WinSxS. Rename the current versions of msxml3.dll and msxml3r.dll in \Windows\System32 to some name you will remember (in case you need to reinstall them). Once you copy the two dll's (msxml3.dll and msxml3r.dll) to \Windows\System32, you should be good to go - just open your help file and you should be OK.  Note that there may be security issues due to ownership (and, of course, you will more than likely need to be logged on as an administrator).

• Edited by JustMeInMD Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:46 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 6:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi JustMelnMD,

Thanks for your post.

>>After installing Windows 10, my MSDN Library (from Visual Studio 6, October 2001) reports scripting errors on most pages

Since this Visual Studio 6 is too older, we don't support it now. And I did not find any official document about the windows 10 supports the visual studio 6.

You could try to repair your Visual Studio 6 first. If still has the same issue. I suggest you'd better use some higher version of Visual Studio instead. Like VS2015 Community, it's a free version with fully featured.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 1:59 AM
  • Lake -

The problem is NOT with Visual Studio 6. It is with the Compiled HTML Help files that make up the MSDN Library that shipped with Visual Studio 6. Those help files use the MSXML.DOMDocument ActiveX control to read embedded XML data in the Compiled Help files. Something changed between the two versions I noted above that now prevents the XML Document control from reading the XML data from the Compiled Help File or Collection.  I have fixed it for now by reverting to the version that works. What needs to happen is for Microsoft to figure out what they broke that prevents the XML control from reading the XML data in the Compiled Help Files. If that is not going to happen, then I have to assume that Microsoft is no longer supporting the Help File system that was used with Visual Studio 6.  In that case, Microsoft needs to make the announcement that those help files are no longer supported.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 3:03 AM
  • Hi JustMelnMD,

>>If that is not going to happen, then I have to assume that Microsoft is no longer supporting the Help File system that was used with Visual Studio 6

As far as I know, Microsoft is no longer support the Visual Studio 6 include the Help File system.

For your case, I suggest you could send your idea to the Visual Studio User Voice:

http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio .

The Visual Studio product team is listening to user voice there.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 6:46 AM
  • Lake -

Thank you.  I will post my issue there.

JEJ

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:52 AM
  • Hi JEJ,

After you post it to the Microsoft user voice. Please share the link here. I will help to vote it.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, August 11, 2016 12:55 AM
  • Lake -

As requested, I have posted this issue to the User Voice forum at:

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/15622920-msxml3-dll-no-longer-workes-with-compiled-html-hel

Thanks.

Note that I have added further information about finding and reverting back to the older version of the file in my original post.
    • Proposed as answer by lake XiaoModerator Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:51 AM
    • Edited by JustMeInMD Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by JustMeInMD Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:49 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2016 3:14 PM
  • Hi JEJ,

Thanks for sharing the link here. I have voted it. If possible, please mark your reply as the answer, so it would be helpful for other members who get the same issue as yours to research and find the answer directly, and I could close this case.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 12:53 AM