Visual Studio 2003 using VB application on a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of getting servers with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 OS.  I am replacing Windows Server 2000 SP4.

We have an application written Visual Studio 2003 that works great on the Windows 2000 server.  However I am not able to get the same application to run on the Windows 2003 server.

Using terminal services and logging on as administrator I am able to run the application with no issues.  When I log on as the user of the application I get the following error:

"An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.  Click continue and application will ignor this error and attempt to conitnue.

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater."

The correct Oracle client software version is installed.  Out of all the trouble shooting I have done the only way I can get the user sign on to work is by adding the user to the server's adminsitratinve group. 

Can anyone help me or point in the direction to find out how I can give the user permission on the server without putting my server at risk. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 2, 2008 5:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• What type of application did you migrate to Win2003 from Win2k because if this is a web application then the problem is related to IIS 6 issues and not ADO.NET but I can resolve such issues for you. So post more details about your application.

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:07 PM
  • It is a windows application coded in VB... we connect to an Oracle database... we have an OPC layer...

I am new at using a forum so I am not sure what other details to put in here...

Friday, May 2, 2008 9:40 PM
  • This is related to permissions in the Oracle home folder because in 2.0 and above we put the TNSNAMES.ORA file in the development folder so these permissions relate problems will go away.  Here is a walkthrough of how you can fix it.

http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/rtgurskevik/archive/2005/01/19/45958.aspx

Friday, May 2, 2008 10:26 PM
  • Thank you so much for your help.

Monday, May 5, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I am glad I could help.

Monday, May 5, 2008 6:56 PM