none
customize Outlook 2010 ribbon programatically with VBA RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot seem to figure out how to update the Outlook ribbion programatically. I see this command online "ActiveProject.SetCustomUI(ribbonXml)" but it does not seem to work. Help please?
    • Edited by IMTheNachoMan Friday, January 6, 2012 4:04 PM
    • Moved by danishani Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:00 AM Outlook specific (From:Visual Basic for Applications (VBA))
    Friday, January 6, 2012 4:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi IMTheNachoMan,

Due the lack of response, I move your thread to the Outlook for Developers Forum, hope you have more experts who are able to assist you.

Sorry for all the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:59 AM
  • I cannot seem to figure out how to update the Outlook ribbion programatically. I see this command online "ActiveProject.SetCustomUI(ribbonXml)" but it does not seem to work. Help please?

I'd expect you are getting a "nothing or not an object" error?  That would be because ActiveProject isn't part of OOM.  I could be wrong but I don't think this is available in Outlook; if it did where would the action callbacks reside?  If this was supported in Outlook, logically SetCustomUI would be a method of either ActiveExplorer, ActiveInspector, or both, but according to Intellitype, it isn't one of either.

-Mark McGinty

• Proposed as answer by Mark McGinty Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:26 PM
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:35 AM
  • So it isn't possible?
    Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:30 PM
  • So it isn't possible?

That's what I'm thinking.
    • Marked as answer by IMTheNachoMan Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:27 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 3:14 AM
  • Dang it. Thanks sir!
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Of course you can customize the Ribbon, but it can only be done from a COM add-in.

Both VSTO and Add-in Express have frameworks that let you design your own custom ribbon buttons/groups, or you can use straight COM - your add-in must implement the IRibbonExtensibility interface and return the XML describing your Ribbon UI via the IRibbonExtensibility::GetCustomUI method.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!

Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:44 PM
  • That was a lot of greek to me.

COM add-in? VSTO? Add-In Express? IRbbonExtensibility?

I'll do some googling for what those are tomorrow.

(ten years ago if you told me I would be using a company name (Google) as a verb (googling) I would have laughed at you) 

Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:46 PM
  • Start with http://outlookcode.com/article.aspx?ID=36

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
    http://www.dimastr.com/redemption
    Redemption - what the Outlook
    Object Model should have been
    Version 5.2 is now available!
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 11:59 PM
  • I think I love you. Awesome resource. Thanks sir!
    Monday, January 30, 2012 12:03 AM
  • But I make menu clasic byt modyfy ways (to not get single rows of buttons) in Excel the same as in Ourlook:

If you like it, I can write you solution.

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:15 PM