Expression Design 2 crashes when trying to click on samples RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I just installed Expression Blend 2 and when I click on Help-->Samples the application crashes. In application log of Vista Enterprise it's EventID 1001

Fault bucket 230620871, type 5
    Event Name: CLR20r3
    Response: None
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: design.exe
    P2: 5.0.1379.0
    P3: 480bfdc5
    P4: Microsoft.Expression.Design.UserInterface
    P5: 5.0.1379.0
    P6: 480bfdbc
    P7: 88
    P8: 16
    P9: System.NullReferenceException
    P10:

Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:45 PM

Answers

• Just an FYI - this one is resolved. The problem was happening because of a missing registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Design.exe

If you're seeing this problem in the future, clicking on Help, Samples causing Design 2 to crash, there are a couple of ways to fix it. You can either import this key from a machine that has the key or you can do a repair/reinstall of Design 2.

I believe I know what caused the issue, also. I'm still testing this and will get back to the forums once I've had a chance to fully investigate.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support

Friday, May 9, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• John,

Even though the body of your text says Blend and the title says Design, I'm going to assume it's Design that crashes since that's what I see in the Exception data.

Please check the following and reply back:

1. Is Design crashing when you click on Samples from the help menu or when you try to open one of the sample files under Samples?
    2. If it's crashing when clicking samples, then please navigate to the following directory on your machine -  C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Design2. Is there a Samples folder here? If so, can you open that folder?
    3. If Design is crashing when opening one of the sample files, please try one of the others. Does it crash when opening that one also?

Will Buffington
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:27 PM
  • Will,

I apologize. It is Design that is crashing. It happens when I actually click on the samples menu item(your #1 scenario) not the individual samples themselves. I navigated to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Expression\Design 2 (There is a space between Design and the number 2 on my box) and am able to open them up manually through Design. I did a run as administrator on the shortcut and got the crash as well.

John
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 10:51 PM
  • Interesting. So you can browse the Samples folder and you can open the samples individually from the File, Open menu, it's just clicking on Help, Samples that crashes Design. Is that correct?

Let me ask you this - does Design crash if you click on any of the other Help menu options like "About..." or "Keyboard Shortcuts" or "Online Community"?

Will
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Will,

That is correct it only crashes when I select the samples menu item under the help. I have tried the other items under the help menu and each is working properly. I am very new with Design so I haven't done anything yet except trying to goto the samples.

John
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 11:26 PM
  • John,

Could I get you to email me at willbu@microsoft.com - the next troubleshooting step is for me to collect a crash dump file and I need to send you instructions that include where to upload this file once generated.

Thanks,

Will Buffington
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 11:32 PM
  • Just an FYI - this one is resolved. The problem was happening because of a missing registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\Design.exe

If you're seeing this problem in the future, clicking on Help, Samples causing Design 2 to crash, there are a couple of ways to fix it. You can either import this key from a machine that has the key or you can do a repair/reinstall of Design 2.

I believe I know what caused the issue, also. I'm still testing this and will get back to the forums once I've had a chance to fully investigate.

Will Buffington

Friday, May 9, 2008 10:40 PM