none
What's your advice in host & host instance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to ask this quetions here.

I'm not understanding well in host and host instance. For manage well the BizTalk Server, I really would like to know which is the best way to manage the host and host instance.

Our company using BizTalk 2009 as our EDI application and just for EDI only now. So which is the best way to manage our host and host instance? To create a host or host intance per mapping application or per trading partner or else?

Please feel free to advice.

Thanks.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 6:28 AM

Answers

• It is hard to say without having any details about the number of BTS applications/orchestrations/parties etc. that are involved.
    You will need to do performance testing to have the best host setup.
    Common practice is to separate receive , send , and orchestrations in separate hosts.
    If any reclocs, send ports or orchestrations are very memory intensive (e.g. large maps), it would be good to separate those in their own hosts as well.
    • Proposed as answer by Sinosky Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andrew_ZhuModerator Friday, May 22, 2009 5:38 AM
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:27 AM
  • I have a production EDI app with several trading partners and I like having separate hosts for each trading partner - this makes it easy to reduce the impact of deploying new features and doing debugging and diagnostics. I also have a separate BizTalk application for each trading partner to organize BizTalk artifacts.

If you have lots of trading partners this can get pretty complicated to manage with all of the host instances, although not impossible. You could group trading partners to a host if you notify them collectively of downtime, etc. You could easily have many trading partners in a single BizTalk application if they all share dependencies like a mapping application. 

If you use BizTalk standard edition, there is a 5 BizTalk application maximum (not related to RFID) so this can get overwhelmed quickly if you group by a single trading partner.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Ben's suggestion seems VERY intensive, as you need to create a seperate host instance for every trading partner, and the go into each adapter, associate the file, sql, ftp, etc... with that host instance, then go into each port, orchestration, etc and set the hostinstance.

What I would suggest is create a host instance for each object type, a host instance for the file adapter, sql adapter, etc, and a seperate host instance for orchestrations.

Monitor the BTS process using the perfmon tool and when one host instance is overwhelmed, add a new host instance and split the work, one for the file recieve, and another for the file send, etc.

Eric Stott [http://blog.biztalk-info.com] - Mark as Answer if this reply does.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:09 PM

All replies

• It is hard to say without having any details about the number of BTS applications/orchestrations/parties etc. that are involved.
    You will need to do performance testing to have the best host setup.
    Common practice is to separate receive , send , and orchestrations in separate hosts.
    If any reclocs, send ports or orchestrations are very memory intensive (e.g. large maps), it would be good to separate those in their own hosts as well.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 10:27 AM
  • I have a production EDI app with several trading partners and I like having separate hosts for each trading partner - this makes it easy to reduce the impact of deploying new features and doing debugging and diagnostics. I also have a separate BizTalk application for each trading partner to organize BizTalk artifacts.

If you have lots of trading partners this can get pretty complicated to manage with all of the host instances, although not impossible. You could group trading partners to a host if you notify them collectively of downtime, etc. You could easily have many trading partners in a single BizTalk application if they all share dependencies like a mapping application. 

If you use BizTalk standard edition, there is a 5 BizTalk application maximum (not related to RFID) so this can get overwhelmed quickly if you group by a single trading partner.

Thanks,
    If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, May 15, 2009 2:38 PM
  • Ben's suggestion seems VERY intensive, as you need to create a seperate host instance for every trading partner, and the go into each adapter, associate the file, sql, ftp, etc... with that host instance, then go into each port, orchestration, etc and set the hostinstance.

What I would suggest is create a host instance for each object type, a host instance for the file adapter, sql adapter, etc, and a seperate host instance for orchestrations.

Monitor the BTS process using the perfmon tool and when one host instance is overwhelmed, add a new host instance and split the work, one for the file recieve, and another for the file send, etc.

Eric Stott [http://blog.biztalk-info.com] - Mark as Answer if this reply does.
    Friday, May 15, 2009 3:09 PM
  • It totally depend on volume of trading partner you. You can use single host for small number of partners. Generally you should have different server for Receive Host, Send Host and SQL machine. Scaling to multiple hosts also depend on Volume of EDI documents being processed. One host typically process 50-100 docs/sec with single Transaction set.
    Bhola Meena [http://blogs.msdn.com/biztalkb2b]
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 2:43 PM
  • Thanks.
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:39 AM