XPS Printing from within a service -- Windows Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• After reading the details of Session zero isolation for Windows services (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb756986.aspx) it seems that there is no longer Microsoft approved way in which to systematically host XPS printing as a service on Windows Server 2012 R2.  I believe there was an update for Server 2008  that enabled legacy print service functionality to run on the newer platform (KB971512).  Is there any similar update available for Server 2012 R2? And if not, how can centralized printing be implemented?

Karl~

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:21 PM

Answers

• Thank you Kevin for the response and the links. 

My server is already setup, so the info on installing Print and Document Services isn't relevant.  Also, since I am using Windows Server 2012R2, the reference to installing XPS printing on XP and Server 2003 is off subject.

I took you advice and posted this question on the TechNet forum. 

Thanks again.

Karl~

• Edited by Karl Fetterhoff Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DotNet Wang Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Karl Fetterhoff:

Thanks for posting there .

I clicked the link , but it became invalid .

Due to My Win 10 version , I just search online .

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134159(v=ws.11).aspx

If you have the following operating system :Windows Vista and later versions of Windows. For Windows XP with SP2 and Windows Server 2003,you can install XPS Document writer . Here is the link about how to print to the Microsoft XPS Document :http://www.thewindowsclub.com/print-microsoft-xps-document-writer-windows-7

Because your question is more related to usage question of the windows sever, for better support ,you can post a question on TechNet forum . here is the link :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

I hope my reply would do help to you .

If you have anything else about C# grammar ,please feel free to let me know . 

Best regards

Kevin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Kevin Linq Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Thank you Kevin for the response and the links. 

My server is already setup, so the info on installing Print and Document Services isn't relevant.  Also, since I am using Windows Server 2012R2, the reference to installing XPS printing on XP and Server 2003 is off subject.

I took you advice and posted this question on the TechNet forum. 

Thanks again.

Karl~

• Edited by Karl Fetterhoff Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DotNet Wang Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by DotNet Wang Wednesday, September 7, 2016 5:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 4:54 PM
  • Hi Karl,

This Forum is for C# specific questions. You may have a lot more luck posting at a more suitable Forum.

Thank you

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:15 PM
  • Yes, my question is regarding C# Windows Service.

Karl~

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:06 PM
  • I disagree. I maintain my advice that you need to find more suitable forum. This forum is frequently checked by C# folks like me. Let's see what others say.

Regards,

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:11 PM