none
Display custom content in a word document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  

In my organisation, there's a need to add and store extra information to different parts (ranges) of a document.

I would like to visually mimic the display of comments to let the user knows that custom information is linked to a range in the document.  This could be in a web add-in (in a tab) or as the comment are displayed.  Does anyone know what the comment zone is called ?  Is it possible to custom draw in this section ??

Any ideas where to start ? Should i use bookmarks ?  Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Monday, December 16, 2019 5:18 PM

All replies

• pretty sure that you cannot draw in that section.

if the idea is to display an optional pane (one that the user can choose to show or hide) then I suspect that the only way you can do that is either to use the Office JS API, where in effect you get a pane which you can populate using HTML, or using a much older technology called Action Pane (I think) that is normally programmed using VSTO. 

Even then, I suspect both of those technologies are really better geared to using the pane to display a form containing fairly static information, rather than displaying info. That needs to coordinate with the content of the main document body, as the comments pane needs to do. Also, I suspect it would be quite hard to detect Actions that cause word to change what is being displayed, e.g., if the user scrolls up or down, how do you get your code to respond by changing what it’s pane displays?

In addition, if you actually want to draw lines between the body text and your pane, I just do not see any simple way of doing that that will survive a simple scroll operation. In other words, if it can be done, it looks to me as if you will have to work very, very hard at it.

Perhaps worth at least having a look at those two technologies to see what you might be able to do with them.

sorry I can’t be more helpful but thought *a* reply would be more useful than *no* reply.

Peter Jamieson

Sunday, December 22, 2019 5:46 PM
  • Thanks for answering.

I also think that a web add-in is the only option I've got there.

Monday, January 13, 2020 8:53 PM