none
Using Sum() in EntitySQL Query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm using EF 5.0 RC in my application. I have two entities - Batch and Group. Batch has a collection of Groups.

I'm trying two return a total amount of items inside of Groups in each Batch along with the Batches InvoiceNumber and Id.

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, ( select value sum( g.TotalAmount ) from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

Id and InvoiceNumber are OK, but Sum() returns a collection instead of one Integer value, which contains one element (which is the total amount of Groups)

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Clarity VS Precision

Thursday, August 9, 2012 7:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not sure if ToatalAmount is the sum of groups or not. On my side, this works:

var str = @"select value (select value count(u.Id) from p.Groups as u) from Cnt.Batches as p";
                    ObjectQuery<IEnumerable<Int32>> orderQuery = new ObjectQuery<IEnumerable<Int32>>(str, context, MergeOption.NoTracking);
                    //Console.WriteLine(orderQuery);
                    foreach (List<Int32> i in orderQuery)
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(i[0]);
                    }

• Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply,

I know that query returns IEnumerables, I just wanted to make it return Int32 directly so that you could write 

foreach (Int32 i in orderQuery)
    {
          Console.WriteLine(i[0]);
    }

Thanks again,

Giorgi

Clarity VS Precision

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Putting the sum outside the inner query, not inside, should do what you are describing.

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, sum( select value g.TotalAmount from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

Rather than

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, ( select value sum( g.TotalAmount ) from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

Aggregates in ESQL accept expressions, so this is possible. The reason why you are having this problem is that a subquery will always produce a reader, even if only one element is present.

Another way to solve the problem would be to add ANYELEMENT in front of the subquery:

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, ANYELEMENT( select value sum( g.TotalAmount ) from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

ANYELEMENT flattens a given collection so that the customer will get only the first result.

We are seeing a lot of great Entity Framework questions (and answers) from the community on Stack Overflow. As a result, our team is going to spend more time reading and answering questions posted on Stack Overflow. We would encourage you to post questions on Stack Overflow using the entity-framework tag. We will also continue to monitor the Entity Framework forum.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Giorgy,

Shouldn't you be using the .Count() method or the .Count property instead? The Sum computes the sum of a sequence of numeric values. I don't think this is want to want.

Anyways, give it a try like this:

var result = from b in Cnt.Batches select new { b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, b.Groups.Count };

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Carlos Sardo

Thursday, August 9, 2012 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

you could try the following as a nested select... sum can be used as per the following example...

(from b in Batch
    select b.Groups.Count).Sum()

Hope this helps.

• Edited by devastated Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:49 PM Amended for the count property Carlos suggested
    Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I'm totally sorry, I messed up the code, in my application I have the following code:

to get the sum of total amounts of Items inside of Groups

I'm changing the code above as well.

Thanks,

Giorgi

Clarity VS Precision

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Thank Carlos,

I'd like to do this using ESql instead of Linq to Entities.

Regards,

Giorgi

Clarity VS Precision

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

I can try and help you out, but first i'd like to understand why the solution has to be ESql.

There is a fairly small set of scenarios where ESql is significantly better than Linq or something like it, so i'd like to understand your problem domain a bit more. Could you give some more information about it?

Thanks.

We are seeing a lot of great Entity Framework questions (and answers) from the community on Stack Overflow. As a result, our team is going to spend more time reading and answering questions posted on Stack Overflow. We would encourage you to post questions on Stack Overflow using the entity-framework tag. We will also continue to monitor the Entity Framework forum.

Friday, August 10, 2012 4:40 PM
  • Hi,

there are two simple reasons, first - I'm constructing the command using the stringbuilder depending on the method's parameter values; and second - I just want to find out how it's done using ESql.

Thank you,

Giorgi

Clarity VS Precision

Monday, August 13, 2012 5:32 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure if ToatalAmount is the sum of groups or not. On my side, this works:

var str = @"select value (select value count(u.Id) from p.Groups as u) from Cnt.Batches as p";
                    ObjectQuery<IEnumerable<Int32>> orderQuery = new ObjectQuery<IEnumerable<Int32>>(str, context, MergeOption.NoTracking);
                    //Console.WriteLine(orderQuery);
                    foreach (List<Int32> i in orderQuery)
                    {
                        Console.WriteLine(i[0]);
                    }

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply,

I know that query returns IEnumerables, I just wanted to make it return Int32 directly so that you could write 

foreach (Int32 i in orderQuery)
    {
          Console.WriteLine(i[0]);
    }

Thanks again,

Giorgi

Clarity VS Precision

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

Putting the sum outside the inner query, not inside, should do what you are describing.

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, sum( select value g.TotalAmount from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

Rather than

Aggregates in ESQL accept expressions, so this is possible. The reason why you are having this problem is that a subquery will always produce a reader, even if only one element is present.

Another way to solve the problem would be to add ANYELEMENT in front of the subquery:

select b.Id, b.InvoiceNumber, ANYELEMENT( select value sum( g.TotalAmount ) from b.Groups as g ) from Cnt.Batches as b

ANYELEMENT flattens a given collection so that the customer will get only the first result.

Thursday, August 16, 2012 3:46 PM