Debugging a console app in VS 2005 hangs at startup RRS feed

• Question

• Pretty simple to repro:

1) Create a new VC++ win32 console app.
    2) Fill in the "hello world" logic
    3) Compile and start a debug session

Opens the console window and the status messages show the last dll loaded (user32.dll or whatever) but hangs indefinitely.  Doesn't make any difference whether the hello project is on a network device or local.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, February 9, 2006 7:59 PM

Answers

• And the answer is...

It wasn't hung, it was downloading jigabytes worth of symbols from Redmond
    I came back 10 minutes later and the message had updated with the next DLL it was downloading symbols for. 
    Solution: Change _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable to c:\windows\symbols or some non-existant folder.
    In case MS folks are reading this - this may warrant a warning dialog.  If it appears to be hung when downloading with a T1 connection, hate to see what someone with dial-up or DSL would think.
    Friday, February 10, 2006 5:38 PM

All replies

• And the answer is...

It wasn't hung, it was downloading jigabytes worth of symbols from Redmond
    I came back 10 minutes later and the message had updated with the next DLL it was downloading symbols for. 
    Solution: Change _NT_SYMBOL_PATH environment variable to c:\windows\symbols or some non-existant folder.
    In case MS folks are reading this - this may warrant a warning dialog.  If it appears to be hung when downloading with a T1 connection, hate to see what someone with dial-up or DSL would think.
    Friday, February 10, 2006 5:38 PM
  • Could you please tell me where is _NT_SYMBOL_PATH? which file is it located?

I have the same problem.  VS 2005 hangs when it starts up. I can read from the status bar, it hangs when it is "updating intellisense". looked like it was going into a infinite loop.  Any idea? Greatly appreciate it.

Jane.

Monday, April 3, 2006 11:15 PM
  • _NT_SYMBOL_PATH is an environment variable.  Right-click "my computer", properties, advanced, then environment variables.  Add/change it under system variables.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2006 3:07 PM