Can you Publish/Install a Self-Contained .NET Core with Hosting Bundle for IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User-840094351 posted

We have an IIS hosted .NET Core project that we've released a few times as frame-work dependent.  We're doing monthly releases and have been following along with the latest .NET Core releases (2.2.7 > 3.0 > 3.1) for some bug fix reasons.  That's made installation/upgrade a bit of a pain point for our customers as they have to install/upgrade the Hosting Bundle separately so I'm looking at ways to ease that pain point.

One option is to just bundle the proper Hosting Bundle into our installer.  While that's still on the proverbial table I noticed that publishing a self-contained version is also an option which would eliminate the need for the .NET Core runtimes to be installed.  That sounds great but if I understand correctly ... that's not going to get me the additional IIS bits that come with the Hosting Bundle? 

Am I correct here, is there a way to include the IIS bits in the self-contained package, or any options I'm missing entirely?  A bit of researching says that strictly speaking we don't need to integrate with IIS at all.  I'm fuzzy on the details and our customers are very familiar with IIS so I'd be hesitant to move away from it but ... choices.

Thanks,
              Bryan

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:04 PM

Answers

• User-474980206 posted

the iis hosting bundle is a separate install, and can not included in the a self contained bundle. The good new is that the hosting bundle does not need to updated with each runtime update. There is a new release of the bundler with every runtime that includes the runtime, but you only need to re-install the module if you new features. follow the project:

https://github.com/aspnet/AspNetCore/tree/master/src/Servers/IIS/AspNetCoreModuleV2

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:31 PM

All replies