Unit Testing Windows Phone 8.1 Store App - MSB3774 errors in VS2013 update 2 preview RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a Windows Phone 8.1 store app (i.e., using the new WinRT API - this is not a WP Silverlight 8.1 app). I'm using the current preview of Update 2 for Visual Studio 2013 (the preview released during Build 2014). I just added a Unit Test project to my solution, but it fails to build, producing these errors:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1864,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "MSTestFramework, Version=12.0".

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\12.0\bin\Microsoft.Common.CurrentVersion.targets(1864,5): error MSB3774: Could not find SDK "TestPlatform, Version=12.0".

I created the project by going into 'Visual C# -> Store Apps -> Windows Phone Apps' in the Add New Project dialog, and choosing the 'Unit Test App (Windows Phone)' template. I've not yet added any test code of my own, so it doesn't look like the build failure is anything to do with my own code. It appears that the project template ends up creating a new project that won't build.

To verify this, I just created a brand new solution containing a 'Unit Test App (Windows Phone)' project from scratch and I see exactly the same error. Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:01 AM

Answers

• ...and to answer my own question, it turns out that you see this error if you did not have the Windows Phone 8.0 tools installed in Visual Studio 2013 before applying Update 2. See http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2014/04/23/wp81-msb3774 for details.

Fortunately, re-running the VS2013 installer and adding in the WP8.0 tools seems to add the necessary libraries in a way that the 8.1 tooling can find even if you do it after having installed update 2 RC.

• Marked as answer by IanG Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:55 AM

All replies

• ...and to answer my own question, it turns out that you see this error if you did not have the Windows Phone 8.0 tools installed in Visual Studio 2013 before applying Update 2. See http://www.interact-sw.co.uk/iangblog/2014/04/23/wp81-msb3774 for details.

Fortunately, re-running the VS2013 installer and adding in the WP8.0 tools seems to add the necessary libraries in a way that the 8.1 tooling can find even if you do it after having installed update 2 RC.

• Marked as answer by IanG Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:55 AM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:55 AM
  • Glad to see this issue has been resolved. Thank you for sharing the solution here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:22 AM