none
Dynamic Disk Move Proceedures RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, it seems like Basic Disks seem to have fewer problems when moving from one server to a different Server, copying data and then moving it back to the original server.

I am trying to find a full (fool) proof procedure for people to follow when moving Dynamic disk.  Here are the steps I think necessary, please help identify any other issues.  (Admin left just drive letter un-assigned and did not shut down server)  They ended up with 2 entries in registry with same signature and would not import disk.  Said it was a duplicate.

Proper steps?

My Tasks is to temporally install a new large LUN to the old server to copy many small luns of data to the new large LUN.

(Copying 12 smaller LUNs of data to 1 New Lun, Then move the Large LUN to the new Server) (Faster than Network)

Currently the New Server has a Large (empty) LUN and the on old Server has many (12) small Luns of data.  I will be attaching the New Lun temporarily to the Old server to copy all of the data to the New Lun and then move it back to the New Server.

Step 1. UN-assign Drive letter on the New Large Lun on the New Server (dynamic Disk).  Have storage un-zoned and re-scanned or just shut down the New Server.

Step 2. Have Storage re-zoned to the old host and Re-scan.  Import disk, Assign drive letter.  Copy data.

Step 3.  Re-zone storage from old server back to the original New Server, and then rescan the storage on the old server.

Step 4.  Rescan, and import the large Lun with the data on it, then assign a drive letter.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Monday, May 12, 2008 10:25 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Steve,

This forum is dedicated to Windows Server 2008 application compatibility and certification related issues.

I am not sure which operating system you are using here.

However here’s an article which talks about possible issues and work around regarding moving Dynamic Disk.

Best practices for using dynamic disks on Windows Server 2003-based computers (please see the Moving dynamic disks part): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816307

Also, I think it’s a better idea to keep the disk as basic unless there is a plan to use soft RAIDs (Server cluster doesn’t work with Dynamic Disk).

Another path that can be taken is to keep the new large LUN as basic, copy data from old server, move it to new server then convert the disc to dynamic (only if required).

However for further information on this issue, you may like to post your questions to the Microsoft News Group

Thanks

Saswati

Tuesday, May 13, 2008 6:29 PM