none
Up gradation issue SQL Server 2008 R2 to 2012 enterprise edition

Question

• Hi

We were trying to upgrade our server  from SQL Server 2008 R2 to 2012 enterprise edition. During Upgrade I got the attached error. While researching on this error, I was checking the registry as well and I found a path there which was not there on our server. I created the required folders and then I clicked ok on the attached error message. The upgrade then moved ahead fine and completed successfully.

I then restarted the SQL Server Service. But I still see the old version of SQL server on this machine. I am not sure why it didn't get updgraded.

I also checked the error logs and event viewer and found the below error:

2016-11-24 11:24:48.090 spid8s SQL Server failed to set security information on the full-text FilterData directory in the FTData folder. Full-text indexing of some types of documents may fail until this issue is resolved. You will need to repair the SQL Server installation
    • Edited by raju mella Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:21 PM

All replies

• I suspect your version of SQL Server was an upgrade from SQL 2000 or SQL 2005. You may need to script out the full-text tables and catalogs and then drop them. Then complete your upgrade again.

If successful this time, recreate your full-text catalogs and tables.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Hi raju mella,

According to your description 'I am not sure why it didn't get upgraded.', we can use the following steps to verify it:

1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), run the following command to check the version of this instance:

Select @@version

2. Then we can use the following query to verify if the database has been upgraded.

CREATE TABLE #temp (
    Id INT IDENTITY(1,1), 
    ParentObject VARCHAR(255),
    [Object] VARCHAR(255),
    Field VARCHAR(255),
    [Value] VARCHAR(255)
    )
    INSERT INTO #temp
    EXECUTE SP_MSFOREACHDB'DBCC DBINFO ( ''?'') WITH TABLERESULTS';
    ;WITH CHECKDB1 AS
    (
        SELECT [Value],
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY ID) AS rn1 
    FROM #temp WHERE Field IN ('dbi_dbname'))
        ,CHECKDB2 AS ( SELECT [Value], 
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY ID) AS rn2 
    FROM #temp WHERE Field IN ('dbi_createVersion'))
        ,CHECKDB3 AS ( SELECT [Value], 
    ROW_NUMBER() OVER (ORDER BY ID) AS rn3 
    FROM #temp WHERE Field IN ('dbi_version')
    )      
    SELECT CHECKDB1.Value AS DatabaseName
            , CHECKDB2.Value AS DatabaseCreateVersion
            , CHECKDB3.Value AS DatabaseCurrentVersion
            , CASE
                WHEN CHECKDB2.Value < CHECKDB3.Value THEN 'Yes'
                ELSE 'No'
                END as DatabaseUpgradedStatus
    FROM CHECKDB1 
    INNER JOIN CHECKDB2
        ON rn1 =rn2
    INNER JOIN CHECKDB3
        ON rn2=rn3
    DROP TABLE #temp

Then we will get a table, you can check the value of the column 'DatabaseCurrentVersion', it is shown as below picture. For more information, please refer to this article.

Now, let's discuss the second question, we can meet the error message 'SQL Server failed to set security information on the full-text FilterData directory in the FTData folder. Full-text indexing of some types of documents may fail until this issue is resolved. You will need to repair the SQL Server installation' in many scenarios, could you please share the full error message to us for analysis? You can get it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log.

Could you please tell us which account did you use for the SQL Server Service, you can open SQL Server Configuration Manager to check it, this issue can be caused by the permission of SQL Server Service.

Besides, you can use the method mentioned by Hilary, you can find the database of older version, right-click on it and click Generate Scripts, then we will get the .sql file. After that, we can use this file to recreate database in the newer instance.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:31 AM
  • Hi Raju,

You need to open your favourite Registry editor and browse / navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\<instance id>\Setup\FullTextDefaultPath

where "instance id" is the, erm, name of your SQL Server instance that you're interested in.

Good Luck!

Thursday, December 8, 2016 3:46 AM