none
One receiveport per SAP system or one per outgoing IDoc? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

We are planning to use the “Microsoft BizTalk Adapter for mySAP Business Suite”-adapter  (part of Microsoft BizTalk Adapter Pack 2.0) to connect to SAP from our BizTalk 2009 environment.

In our SAP installation there will be about 15-20 outgoing IDocs from SAP to BizTalk and I wonder what the best setup for the communication would be.

-          One receiveport (with a WCF-SAP receive location) receiving all the outgoing IDocs from a specific SAP system

-          One receiveport (with a WCF-SAP receive location) per outgoing IDoc. This alternative requires a lot of configuration in SAP to setup one ProgramID per outgoing IDoc.

Do you have experience of a similar scenario and could give as input? Pros and Cons of the different alternatives? Peformance issues?

Thanks in advance!

Friday, June 10, 2011 7:05 AM

Answers

• Hi Jonas,

in general it is possible to set up such a solution with only one receive location / one RFC connection, but like always this depends on your surroundings. Some things to consider if you use only one location:

1. You can only enable / disable the whole SAP connection and not only one IDOC / application

2. All items are coming via the same receive port so filtering based on BTS.ReeivePortName is not sufficient

3. The receive location is bound to one host instance and is not scalable so that it might cause perfomance issues during high load

4. You will always end up with the same user in SAP (maybe not relevant for receiving scenarios only)

So what I would suggest: Create application based RFC locations in SAP as well as application based IDOC distibution scenarios (BD64). On BizTalk side create one receive port including location for every application. With this you won't end up with hundrets of ports and SAP customizing but remain still flexible enough for daily work.

Furthermore I would suggest to create one central appliation in BizTalk (called SAP) and put everything SAP related there (propertyschema, schemas, ports, etc.) so that you have everything in one place at least.

If you like my post or consider it as a valid answer, please use the buttons to show me - Oliver

http://i.evolved.cc

• Marked as answer by JonasD Friday, June 10, 2011 8:54 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 8:39 AM