none
microsoft .net framework cas policy manager has stopped working error while installing SQL Server 2008 R2

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows7 64 bit machine.

I have installed Visual Studio 2010 professional on it. it gave an popup error message of microsoft .net framework cas policy manager has stopped working while installing, but when I clicked cancel it install the remaining tools. On the last screen it  showed error related to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Service Pack 1 (x64).

I checked that Visual studio and TFS installed correctly.

My issue started when I tried to install SQl Server 2008R2. As I clicked on the SetUp.Exe, it again gave me error of microsoft .net framework cas policy manager has stopped working and not going any further.

I tried below options to solve it, but nothing work-

a) Uninstall VS2010

b) Disable/Enable the .NET framework 3.5.1.

c) Apply a fresh copy of installation media.

d) Verify the .NET framework 3.5 with .NET setup verification tool.

Please suggest some solution for it.

--------------------------------------- Thanks, Apne Please use Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 1:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you run the .Net repair tool.

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

In addition, if the system restore is enabled on your system, you can have a try restoring to the previous time and see how it works.

To restore system will preserve all the software and files before the previous restore point. And all of your private date will be preserved.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:08 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Could you try the following command. I think it should do the job about SQL Server?

caspol.exe -machine –reset

I don't know if this can have any effect on TFS.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you run the .Net repair tool.

Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

In addition, if the system restore is enabled on your system, you can have a try restoring to the previous time and see how it works.

To restore system will preserve all the software and files before the previous restore point. And all of your private date will be preserved.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 31, 2014 11:08 AM
  • Hi I have same problem none of the above suggested solution work for me. Any other suggestion?
    • Edited by AltafBF Friday, October 23, 2015 9:47 PM
    Friday, October 23, 2015 9:46 PM
  • Same issue, and none of the solutions helped as well.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

I experienced the same issue as above. My solution was to uninstall SQL Server 2014 Express and install SQL Server 2016 instead. SQL Server 2016 uses Framework 4.0 instead of 3.5, so this a simple work-around.

Worked fine after this.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:50 AM