none
Undocumented ActiveSync codepage RRS feed

• Question

• An analysis of network traffic from Outlook 2013 configured for ActiveSync shows that it uses an ActiveSync code page (0xfe) which is not documented in any of the Exchange Open Specification protocol docs.  Will this protocol extension be documented, and if so, when?

Thanks

Monday, January 7, 2013 4:37 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi RJK3,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer from the protocols team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, January 7, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Hi RJK3,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Monday, January 7, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Hi RJK3,

It is customary that in your posting there is a reference to the document and section to which the problem is related.
    I would like to see the raw unencrypted network capture starting as early as possible and the annotated version of it. Could you post or send the files to me? If you send, please send them to  “dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com”  and indicate that it is for me.

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 11:29 PM
  • Hi RJK3,

Thank you for your email, which contained the request with reference to code page 0xfe. I’m still investigating how it could happen.
    Please send more information about your setup, which programs are involved, including their versions, which messages were sent / received prior to that message, containing the reference to code page 0xfe, preferably from the start of the session; for the sending method, please see my posting at: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 11:29 PM

Thanks, Vilmos
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:58 PM
  • Hi RJK3,

Outlook 2013 connects to Hotmail (Outlook.com) service using ActiveSync protocol.  Hotmail has extended the ActiveSync protocol with the code page 0xfe (254).   It should be noted that Exchange Server does not support the code page 0xfe and will return a parsing error.

Hotmail has documented the ActiveSync extensions here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/live/jj572363.aspx

Below is what will be added to the Hotmail ActiveSync documentation for the WBXML code page (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee200602%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx).

Code   page

XML   Namespace

WindowsLive

The tags and tokens in the WBXML code page 254 (0xFE) are listed in the following table.

Tag   name

Token

Annotations

0x05

Annotation

0x06

Name

0x07

Value

0x08

Thanks, Vilmos
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 5:38 PM