none
Unable to install SQL 2016 along side SQL 2014 in an AlwaysON configuration

Question

• Hi there,

I got AlwaysOn to work in a 2 node configuration using SQL 2014.

Now I'm trying to install SQL2016 as a named instance on one of the nodes in the above config, but having issues installing from any Image I pull from MSDN. Nothing I run the install from works including SQL2016 Developer or Enterprise ISO's or even another copy of SQL2014 from the original ISO image.  Also downloaded from other servers but no luck.

Tried installing from image, unpacking the image (7Zip) and/or copying to another shared disk.  Most of the errors look like the following:

Exit error code:               5426
      Exit message:                  Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "Errors.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Microsoft.SqlServer.Discovery" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.

Is it still possible to install another instance on one of the node(s) of an existing AG setup?

Anyone know what's going on here with this install from the above error?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick J

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

Looks to be an issue of Installer cache. SQL server Setup is trying to use exisiting msi files from windows installer cache.

Can you see error file on Bootstrap folder of 2016 in program files. it will have more error details.

Kindly mark the reply as answer if they help

Monday, December 19, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Not seeing an error file just a Summary.txt file where the above message came from. Also a copy of this file in the dated folder from yesterday.  Can I attach the summary file? Below is the summary from the end.

Ehis is SQL2016 with SP1 embedded. 

Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: System.Resources.MissingManifestResourceException
            Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture.  Make sure "Errors.resources" was correctly embedded or linked into assembly "Microsoft.SqlServer.Discovery" at compile time, or that all the satellite assemblies required are loadable and fully signed.
        HResult : 0x80131532
        Data: 
          HelpLink.EvtType = 0x7D7E1ECC@0x54657B2B
          DisableWatson = true
        Stack: 
            at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.HandleResourceStreamMissing(String fileName)
            at System.Resources.ManifestBasedResourceGroveler.GrovelForResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Dictionary`2 localResourceSets, Boolean tryParents, Boolean createIfNotExists, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
            at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo requestedCulture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
            at System.Resources.ResourceManager.InternalGetResourceSet(CultureInfo culture, Boolean createIfNotExists, Boolean tryParents)
            at System.Resources.ResourceManager.GetObject(String name, CultureInfo culture, Boolean wrapUnmanagedMemStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Discovery.MsiException.GetErrorMessage(Int32 errorNumber, CultureInfo culture)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Discovery.MsiException.GetErrorMessage(MsiRecord errorRecord, CultureInfo culture)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Discovery.MsiException.get_Message()
            at System.Exception.ToString(Boolean needFileLineInfo, Boolean needMessage)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionEngine.RunActionQueue()
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.Workflow.RunWorkflow(WorkflowObject workflowObject, HandleInternalException exceptionHandler)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.<>c__DisplayClasse.<ExecuteActionWithRetryHelper>b__b()
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(ActionWorker workerDelegate)

Thanks

Patrick 

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 11:47 AM
  • Hi TXPJL,

Could you please share the full installation log to us for analysis? You can find it from C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\yy_mm_dd\Detail.txt

The error message 'Could not find any resources appropriate for the specified culture or the neutral culture' is related with Installer cache. We can analysis the Detail.txt to find the exact file related to this error. After that, we can go to the installer cache folder to install it manually.

For example, if we find Windows is trying to open a file called '257f1f.msi' and failed, then we can go to C:\Windows\Installer, find the file 257f1f.msi and run it manually. If we will see the error message when we install this file, we can do the further troubleshooting.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 2:55 AM
  • To make it clear, it's certainly possible to install another instance with Always On AG instances.

P.S.

I see that you have already an ongoing investigation with Teige, so I'm not touching on it.

http://ekremonsoy.blogspot.com | http://www.ekremonsoy.com | @EkremOnsoy

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 6:51 AM