none
Using of OleDBAdapter instead of SQLDataAdapter RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to ask, if it is possible to convert (at least schema) database from SQLServer 2005 express (mdf + ldf file) to Access database (mdb file).

The problem is, that SQLSEE 2005 needs at least windows 2000 sp4 or windows xp sp2. Not everybody has it and also the instalation of SQLEE 2005 and the service packs takes some time.... So I got an idea to convert it. As far as I know, the Acces database don't need anything special to work. Then I can simply switch the adapters and my application will work fine.

If it is possible, I would like to know how. Or if somebody know how to create mdb dtabase, either programatically or with some tool, which I can than swap with my existing SQLEE 2005 database.

Thanks for any answer, Martin
    Tuesday, August 7, 2007 8:04 PM

All replies

• Use MSDE 2000 instead. It supports more OS versions. It's a light version of SQL Server 2000 which means your schema definitions from SQL Server 2005 Express can be imported (scripts) against it with little or no changes. You can also hook up SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition tools to MSDE databases (Since MSDE doesn't come with Query Analyser or Enterprise Manager) though I'm not sure if this is officially supported or condoned by their licensing agreements. Embarrassed Basically you can install MSDE which will behave just like an SQL Server 2000 server/service. Then use the SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition (available for non-commercial use) to install server tools if you need them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324998

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 9:49 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the answer

Martin
    Wednesday, August 8, 2007 6:21 AM
  • You could import tables from SQL Server 2005 Express to Access using SQL queries w/out too much problem but if you have stored procedures or any other type of objects it would be a manual process.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 12:51 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the answer. I have no stored procedures, because the database is tiny and it is not necessary in my case.
    Can You please provide me with an example of such query? E.g to convert one datatable with two columns?

Thanks Martin
    Monday, August 13, 2007 6:42 AM