EW 4 (win 7) unable to import site from GoDaddy RRS feed

• Question

• I am runing Expression Studio Ultrimate 4 on a Windows 7 Ultrimate laptop.

I need to import an existing web site for changes.

I get the following error:

You are unable to import a site from ftp://kingiscomingchurch.org.  Verify that you have provided the correct location, username, and password and they try again.

What I am doing:

Site -> import -> import site wizard
    on the first screen I use the following:
    Connection Type: FTP
    Directory: /
    Maximum simultaneioius connections: 4
    Use Passive FTP is checked

In the Conect to "kingiscomingchurch.org popup"  I enter the following:
    Username: jessetutterrow
    Password: <I won't spell this out>
    and click OK

and I get the above message.

I used GoDaddy's control panel to verify the FTP account name and reset it's password.  -- No Change
    I created a new FTP account name and password, waited the 30 minutes it takes GoDaddy to create the account  -- No Change
    I tried leaving the Location field blank -- No Change

I tried contacting GoDaddy support - they were totally un-helpful.  They claim that they tested the FTP and it works.

Please Help
    Thaks in Advance,

Jesse

Friday, April 8, 2011 4:54 AM

All replies

• Try opening your ftp connection using Windows Explorer. Then just copy & paste.

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:45 AM
  • For GoDaddy, the FTP directory should be left blank.

Try that. - It's in GoDaddy's FTP instructions.

(And, why import?  Set up your local site, and set up your FTP publishing settings, and publish it down to your PC.  You need to do that anyway to publish changes to your host.)

Friday, April 8, 2011 8:35 AM
  • For GoDaddy, the FTP directory should be left blank.

Try that. - It's in GoDaddy's FTP instructions.

(And, why import?  Set up your local site, and set up your FTP publishing settings, and publish it down to your PC.  You need to do that anyway to publish changes to your host.)

Tried leaving the FTP directory blank with the same error.

Tried setting up FTP publishing settings and get the same error.

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Try opening your ftp connection using Windows Explorer. Then just copy & paste.

When I try typing into the address bar of Windows Explorer: ftp://jessetutterrow@kingiscomingchurch.org I get the following error:

Windows cannot access this folder.  Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
    details:
    A connection with the server could not be established

I never get prompted to enter a password.

I tried turning Windows Firewall off and get the same message.

GoDaddy claims that the FTP server & connection works from their location.

I went to a (virtual) Vista machine and tried and I get the same error message.

Could AT&T DSL be blocking FTP?   I checked the router's firewall config and it is set to allow FTP (inbound and outbound)

Any Ideas?

Friday, April 8, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Your url doesn't sound right it would be ftp://kingiscomingchurch.org then you would get prompted for your userid/password.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:26 PM
  • For your Godaddy account the address should be ftp://ftp.kingiscomingchurch.org  I tried this in IE and it brought up the login prompt. Ranther than importing a site, you may want to consider opening the live site with EW and then publish down to an empty site folder. That works considerably better for me. 

Sid
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:26 PM
  • GoDaddy ftp accounts for my clients use either the ftp://ftp.site.com or the ftp://site.com form for the FTP address.  Make sure you are using the correct one for your account.  And, rather obviously, make sure you are using the correct username and password for the FTP account.  Reset the password or create a new FTP account if you are not sure.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Jesse, In your post above you wrote a email address for your ftp. You need to use your website address like Kathy stated.
    Friday, April 8, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Jesse, In your post above you wrote a email address for your ftp. You need to use your website address like Kathy stated.

In a Previous Message Time Bandit posted:

Try opening your ftp connection using Windows Explorer. Then just copy & paste.

To try Time Bandit's suggestion I searched and found a web page http://support.hostgator.com/articles/ftp/how-to-use-ftp-via-windows-explorer,
    about how to open a ftp connection using Windows Explorer According to the web site it told me that the address I should enter was <ftp account>@<domain name>

Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:21 AM
  • Well, some hosts might have it set up to work like that (hostgator for one, I guess, since it's their article).  I certainly don't need to do it that way for my sites.

But just to test your connection try typing ftp://yourFTPaddress into IE's address bar.  You should be prompted for a username and password.  If you enter these correctly, you'll see the directory listing for your site.

The login should work the same way in Windows Explorer, showing you your folders.

If it doesn't work for one or both, see my previous post about making sure you have the right ftp address, ftp username, and ftp password.

Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:39 AM
  • Just goes to show how crappy GoDaddy is. Did you read oldvet's response? I did. His method worked with IE, so I did the same thing in Windows Explorer using address ftp://ftp.kingiscomingchurch.org. This is what I got (note the address line):

As you can see, you not only get the login prompt, you get the option to save your password and a suggestion to add the site to your favorites. You will also note that Explorer has listed the address in my "The Internet" places (lower left).

This is not rocket science, old boy. All that is necessary is that you do what you are supposed to do. With that login dialog, IF you actually know your login credentials, you should be able to simply enter them and then click Log On. Give it a try...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 2:55 AM
  • May or may not work - You DO need the ftp:// protocol bit.

For MY website, something similar to

ftp://username@ftp.example.com will open an FTP connection.

ftp://username@example.com will fail - the ftp subdomain is missing, but whether this is required in your case depends on the server configuration.

username@example.com WILL fail.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Interesting. I've never used a host with that kind of FTP setup, requiring the account/user name as part of the FTP address. In the current instance, since testing is so fast, just changing the address line (as contrasted to changing publishing destination properties in EW), the OP might try using IE or Explorer to enter every variation on the FTP address suggested above. Presuming that his login credentials are accurate, he should be able to zero in on the correct addressing protocol that way fairly quickly.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 4:52 PM
  • "I've never used a host with that kind of FTP setup, requiring the account/user name as part of the FTP address"

It's only required as a convenience when using Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer.

This method will result in a request for the password.
    ftp://ftp.example.com will normally result in a request for username and password (with most hosts), but I had  ISP provided web space where that URL mapped to the ISP's anonymous FTP space, with no method of logging in.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Sunday, April 10, 2011 5:09 PM
  • Thanks All.

Our Internet slowed down and we power cycled the router.  This speeds up the Internet connection and magically fixed the FTP problem.  I can access the web site via EW 4 or ftp.

Thanks.

Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:02 PM