Future plans for JScript Native RRS feed

All replies

• Thanks for your post Koby.

None of these features are part of the ECMAScript standard which defines the current baseline for browser scripting, so we would not necessarily automatically implement them. However, we are continually evaluating which feature we should add to future versions of JScript and place significant weight on the input of external developers during this evaluation process. Some of these features seem quite useful while others seem rather experimental and of speculative utility. What is your opinion? Have you experimented with using any of these features? If so, which of them have proven useful? How would you prioritize them (or other possible new features) in terms of importance to your own work? Also how important is script code inter-operability is for you and what's your opinion on this?

Don.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Don,

I haven't had the chance to actually try out any of these new language features so I cannot comment as far as their actual utility is concerned. My primary concern is about cross-browser scripting compatibility down the road. I'd like the least common denominator common to Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox to be as feature rich as possible and I am confident many web developers share a similar desire.

The features that seem most important to me are the array extras and block scoping. I agree the other features like the various comprehensions do appear more experimental and "feel" less like JavaScript.
    Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:49 PM
  • ECMAScript 3 and beyond - My colleague Pratap Lakshman (our representative on the ECMAScript Technical Committee) just posted a blog about some work we've done on this topic. We're very interested in feedback from JavaScript web and framework developers on your thoughts about your needs and the future of the language. Please leave your comments directly on the blog entry.

Don

Friday, November 2, 2007 1:39 PM
  •  

I find it funny (read, irritating) that when Firefox implements proprietary extensions, people refer to it as "making available important enhancements", and when Microsoft does it, it's refered to as "embrace, extend, and extinguish" and shunned.
    Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:39 PM