none
"File could not be found" says VBC

Question

• I have a project that has a file that I want to delete. VBC (I have no idea what VBC even is) says it can't find it.

Where do I tell this VBC-system that "forget about the file, it is not even supposed to exist"?

edit. So I've already deleted the file, so "I can't find it" is correct - it just shouldn't look for it at all.
    • Edited by ArtKilp Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:55 AM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 10:44 AM

Answers

• Thanks for pvdg42's reply.

Hi ArtKilp,

The VBC should be Visual Basic Command-line compiler.

According to your description, your problem is caused by a deleted file in your project. So this problem is just occurs with this specific project, is it right?

Please check all code in your project to find whether there has any code using the deleted file. Since this problem occurs on design-time, please especially check the code in forms' load event.

If you can't find out where has using this file, I suggest you create a new project and then move the project files to the new project one by one to make sure which file causes this issue. Then troubleshooting that files carefully.

If possible, please provided a sample project to OneDrive and share the link here. It can help us reproduce this issue and find out what happened in your project.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:36 AM

All replies

• Please provide more information about your project, such as project type, programming language used, etc.

Also, if you have code in your project that attempts to locate and delete a certain file, you can remove that code so your app will not attempt to find and delete the file.

If the error occurs when the code in your project is not running, please provide the details of how and when the error occurs.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 2:10 PM
  • Please provide more information about your project, such as project type, programming language used, etc.

Also, if you have code in your project that attempts to locate and delete a certain file, you can remove that code so your app will not attempt to find and delete the file.

If the error occurs when the code in your project is not running, please provide the details of how and when the error occurs.

It is VB.Net, Windows Forms. Visual Studio 2015. The problem occurs on design-time and prevents building the solution. The main problem is that it doesn't point to any line of code, the source is simply VBC according to Error List.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:32 PM
  • Thanks for pvdg42's reply.

Hi ArtKilp,

The VBC should be Visual Basic Command-line compiler.

According to your description, your problem is caused by a deleted file in your project. So this problem is just occurs with this specific project, is it right?

Please check all code in your project to find whether there has any code using the deleted file. Since this problem occurs on design-time, please especially check the code in forms' load event.

If you can't find out where has using this file, I suggest you create a new project and then move the project files to the new project one by one to make sure which file causes this issue. Then troubleshooting that files carefully.

If possible, please provided a sample project to OneDrive and share the link here. It can help us reproduce this issue and find out what happened in your project.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:36 AM