build one sample RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to list all of the samples?

and

just build one?

Monday, July 1, 2013 1:30 PM

Answers

• I've made an Eddie robot and there are so many warnings and they cycle though so quick that I don't know if that sample has got any warnings.  But the Eddie simulation that has been added appears to work fine.  P.S. the physical robot works too.
    • Marked as answer by mark726 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:28 AM

All replies

• All samples are in the samples directory.

Prebuild binaries for all samples should be installed as part of the installation process -- so you can run any sample in it's "shipped" form without building anything.  Just use the appropriate manifest in samples/Config that does not have '.user.' in the name.

It's strongly recommended to run the 'build all samples' script you try building any of the sample projects from visual studio, as many of them have dependencies on other samples.  Any sample built from code (i.e. any version of a sample with .user in the name) will have dependencies on other locally built samples rather than the shipped versions.

Is there any reason you are trying to avoid running the 'build all samples' script?

Monday, July 1, 2013 9:02 PM
  • just interested.  I get 63 warnings and 40 errors even after putting the new Kinect.cs program in, from www.codeplex.com,  but I can't find out what they are because the wont all fit in the copy and paste buffer to transfer to notepad
    Tuesday, July 2, 2013 9:57 AM
  • If you're running out of buffer in the command window, you can simply run samples/BuildAllSamples.cmd from a DSS command prompt.  Before you do execute the command, just increase the size of the screen buffer in the cmd window by right clicking -> layout -> screen buffer size -> height.

If you're having trouble diagnosing the errors, post the first few here and I'll take a look.

Even without applying any fix for the new Kinect SDK, I don't think you should see that many errors.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 6:27 PM
  • what Kinect SDK do you mean?  I'm still using 1.0

here are the first 3 of 52 warnings (sorry it's so big)

Project "C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\buildall.
    proj" (1) is building "C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\sam
    ples\UX\GameController\GameController.csproj" (33) on node 1 (default targets).
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets(1578,5):
     warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of th
    e project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "I
    nputInterop, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d12f30389d94881d,
     processorArchitecture=x86", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime failures. P
    lease consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your project thr
    ough the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectures betwe
    en your project and references, or take a dependency on references with a proce
    ssor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of your proj
    ect. [C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\UX\GameContr
    oller\GameController.csproj]
    CoreResGen:
      No resources are out of date with respect to their source files. Skipping res
      ource generation.
    GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute:
    Skipping target "GenerateTargetFrameworkMonikerAttribute" because all output fi
    les are up-to-date with respect to the input files.
    CoreCompile:
    Skipping target "CoreCompile" because all output files are up-to-date with resp
    ect to the input files.
    CopyFilesToOutputDirectory:
      GameController -> C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\bin\Us
      er.GameController.Y2006.M09.dll
    Done Building Project "C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\sam
    ples\UX\GameController\GameController.csproj" (default targets).

ples\UX\XInputGamepad\XInputGamepad.csproj" (35) on node 1 (default targets).
    e project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "M
    icrosoft.Xna.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=842cf8
    be1de50553, processorArchitecture=x86", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime
    failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your
    project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architec
    tures between your project and references, or take a dependency on references w
    ith a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture o
    f your project. [C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\U
    X\XInputGamepad\XInputGamepad.csproj]
    e project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "M
    icrosoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyTok
    en=842cf8be1de50553, processorArchitecture=x86", "x86". This mismatch may cause
     runtime failures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture
     of your project through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor
     architectures between your project and references, or take a dependency on ref
    erences with a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor archi
    tecture of your project. [C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\
    samples\UX\XInputGamepad\XInputGamepad.csproj]
    CoreCompile:
    ect to the input files.
    e project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "P
    hysicsEngine, Version=1.0.2377.29438, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d12f30389
    d94881d, processorArchitecture=x86", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime fai
    lures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your pro
    ject through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectur
    es between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with
     a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of y
    our project. [C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\Simu
    lation\ArticulatedArms\LBR3\SimulatedLBR3Arm.csproj]
    CoreCompile:
    ect to the input files.
      SimulatedLBR3Arm -> C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\bin\
      User.SimulatedLBR3Arm.Y2006.M07.dll
    ples\Simulation\ArticulatedArms\LBR3\SimulatedLBR3Arm.csproj" (default targets)
      XInputGamepad -> C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\bin\Use
      r.XInputGamepad.Y2006.M09.dll
    ples\UX\XInputGamepad\XInputGamepad.csproj" (default targets).

ples\Simulation\ArticulatedArms\LBR3\SimulatedLBR3Arm.csproj" (41) on node 1 (d
    efault targets).
    e project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference "P
    hysicsEngine, Version=1.0.2377.29438, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=d12f30389
    d94881d, processorArchitecture=x86", "x86". This mismatch may cause runtime fai
    lures. Please consider changing the targeted processor architecture of your pro
    ject through the Configuration Manager so as to align the processor architectur
    es between your project and references, or take a dependency on references with
     a processor architecture that matches the targeted processor architecture of y
    our project. [C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\samples\Simu
    lation\ArticulatedArms\LBR3\SimulatedLBR3Arm.csproj]
    CoreCompile:
    ect to the input files.
      SimulatedLBR3Arm -> C:\Users\eddie robot\Microsoft Robotics Dev Studio 4\bin\
      User.SimulatedLBR3Arm.Y2006.M07.dll
    ples\Simulation\ArticulatedArms\LBR3\SimulatedLBR3Arm.csproj" (default targets)

Thursday, July 4, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Looks like you're using VS2012 (I don't believe these warnings occur w/ VS2010)?

I think everything should still work even with those warnings -- are you experiencing any errors or unexpected behavior in the samples at runtime?

Thursday, July 4, 2013 8:46 PM
  • win 8 pro, vs2010,Kinect 1.0, MRDS.

no errors just 52 warnings

what Kinect SDK should I be using?  I'm still using 1.0

Friday, July 5, 2013 9:27 AM
  • Thanks.  The warnings aren't Kinect SDK related and should be benign.  You should be able to update to the latest Kinect SDK by following the directions here (you will get build *errors* with the samples if you upgrade to 1.6+ and don't follow these steps):

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a09e735-3a86-4c3d-aa4d-ed7e51a2dbce/rds4-kinect-service-does-not-build-with-kinect-for-windows-sdk-16-fix-available

Friday, July 5, 2013 8:44 PM
  • I installed Kinect for Windows 1.7 and got errors.  What programs, and what order should I use?  Starting with

Win 8 pro 64-bit

vs 2010 64- bit

Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:56 PM
  • Did you use the fixed Kinect.cs as described in the link I posted above?
    Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:57 PM
  • yes!

Kinect 1.7 with fix gives me 46 warnings

Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:34 PM
  • I am used to getting rid of errors and warnings. 

Isn't it about time Microsoft got a Kinect SDK and MRDS working properly together without and little tweaks. 

Also MRDS uses Silverlight 4 which has disappeared from the website after Silverlight 5 appeared.  Now new people to MRDS who install Silverlight 5 get an error saying "Silverlight 4 not installed"

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:35 AM
  • the first word of my previous reply should have been sorry if you misunderstood me.  I'm not very good at this typing thingy.
    Monday, July 8, 2013 11:13 AM
  • I have a couple comments:

1) To answer the original question.  If you start a DSS command prompt and browse into the sample directory you should be able to type "msbuild" to build that particular sample. It is strongly advised that you use the "buildallsamples" script initially however to ensure all dependencies are built.

2) This warning... "warning MSB3270: There was a mismatch between the processor architecture of the project being built "MSIL" and the processor architecture of the reference" can be safely ignored. They should appear "yellow" in the command window.  Errors appear "red"

3) We are investigating the "Silverlight 5" issue.  That should only affect the one Silverlight sample.  If you are not using Silverlight you can safely ignore those warnings/errors.

Are you able to build what you need now and are un-blocked, or do you still have blocking issues?

-Gershon

Monday, July 8, 2013 6:10 PM
  • I've made an Eddie robot and there are so many warnings and they cycle though so quick that I don't know if that sample has got any warnings.  But the Eddie simulation that has been added appears to work fine.  P.S. the physical robot works too.
    • Marked as answer by mark726 Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:28 AM