none
powerpoint slideshows stops after update RRS feed

• Question

• A slideshow with a textbox on it. Next to it, a button that updates the textbox's text when clicked, e.g. just updating the current time in the textbox.<o:p></o:p>

Transition on the slides is set to automatic advancing after e.g. 5 seconds.<o:p></o:p>

When there is no animation on the slide, someone can click the button, the textbox is updated and after 5 seconds, the slideshow is advancing to the next slide. As expected. <o:p></o:p>

With animation on the shape set (e.g. grow and turn), click the button, the text updates by the macro, but the slide is not going to the next slide. It stops the slideshow.<o:p></o:p>

Has anyone an explanation for this behavior? Or workaround to get the automatic advancing to work for me?<o:p></o:p>

PowerPoint 2010 sp1 32bits. Sample presentation can be downloaded from www.presentationland.com/updatemacro.zip

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Kurt,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I can't reproduce you issue on my side. Would you clarify the scenario to create Presentation which like you shared. I can see the problem like your description on my presentation document. However I don't know how to create a same copy on my side. It's based on my experience that the steps to create it will help us do trouble shooting.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 1, 2013 4:30 AM
  • Sure, start with a new presentation. Add 3 empty slides. Set the advance slide option to After 5 seconds. Uncheck the 'On mouse click'. Click Slideshow, set up slide show, set the show type to kiosk for repeating presentations.

Now on the second slide add a textbox, then add a button. To insert a button click Developer (should be enabled in your options) and click the command button. Then draw the button on your second slide. Now right click the command button and click View code.

Then use this code;

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Dim sh As PowerPoint.Shape
        Set sh = ActivePresentation.Slides(2).Shapes(1)
        sh.TextFrame.TextRange = Now
    End Sub

Now run your slide show. You will see slide 1 for 5 seconds, slide 2 for 5 seconds, slide 3 for 5 seconds, slide 1 again for 5 second and then when slide 2 is shown, click the button in order to update the text of the textbox on that screen. When updated, the slideshow stops advancing which was not happening with older ppt versions...

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:20 PM
  • Hi Kurt,

I don't know why. However it works fine if you append following sentence in your subroutines "ActivePresentation.SlideShowWindow.View.Next".

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:50 AM
  • OK that is a good idea already but this will not respect the transition times of a slide. So it's a bit more complicated.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 8:07 AM