How to best deal with backup and search indexing with azure file sync? RRS feed

• Question

• We are curious about the best practices around configuring backup for Azure File Sync.  What are folks doing?  Is there documentation on setting up Azure Backup to work with AFS?  Are people also doing some other kind of backup of the cloud share as a way to clear the 3-2-1 rule?

Also, with cloud tiering enabled, how does search indexing on the local servers work, if at all?  I noticed that our server with 50% tiering was going nuts cpu-wise with the search indexing service taking up an entire core, so I stopped indexing for the time being.

Thanks!

Monday, January 8, 2018 8:35 PM

All replies

• @pesopesos, I think we connected offline on this. For others, Azure Backup integration with Azure File Sync shares is still being worked on and will be available soon for private preview. Ping if you like to be the early adopter. You can use Azure Backup with vanilla Azure File shares today (in preview). Typically search service is disabled on the servers, indexing the context will recall tiered files.  CPU going nuts likely because indexing trying to recall while AFS agent trying to tier it back based on the tiering policies.

Hope that helps.

Gunjan

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Wednesday, January 10, 2018 5:49 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:04 PM