none
Cannot impersonate user RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to run a report but when I deploy it, I get this message:

An error has occurred during report processing.
    Cannot impersonate user for data source 'TBLBL'.
    Logon failed.
    For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

I can run it fine in the Visual Studio reporting program, but that's it. How can I fix this?
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 4:20 PM

All replies

• What's the setup where this problem happens? Like client, web server, and report server all on separate machines? This is a double-hop for credentials, which is not allowed by NTLM and would be one reason why impersonation is failing.

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:56 PM
  • It happens once I deploy it to the report server, and only this report because I changed the server I get the  datasource from. Since I did that, it errors out now.  The datasource is on a different server that the reporting server.

When I go to Properties in SQL Server Reporting Services and pick Datasource, it tells me "The shared datasource reference is no longer valid".  if I actually type the connection string in and set the user/password information, I can get it to show data like it does in Visual Studio.  It's still not automated though because it's not picking up which user the report is for, I have to manually type that in each time.

Friday, December 3, 2010 4:06 PM
  • Ah. So this is an SSRS issue. I assume then the "Visual Studio reporting program" is a report server project in VS. You still have the double-hop issue client->report server->data source, but of course you should fix the data source reference issue first.

See this thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/0918730a-7d50-4bac-89ed-4ee09c18dd53 and see if it helps you resolve the shared datasource reference issue.

To remove the double hop issue, you need to configure the shared data source to prompt for data source credentials or use stored credentials (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms160330.aspx).

Cephas Lin This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:29 PM
  • In that link, I see this:

"Do not use impersonation for reports that support subscriptions or that use schedules to generate report history or refresh a report execution snapshot."

This report, when it worked, was set up with a subscription that ran it every morning and sent it to the proper recipients.  Does that mean it shouldn't even be trying to impersonate a user?

Friday, December 3, 2010 5:23 PM