Large Images folder - IIS Virtual Directory and Application Pool RRS feed

• Question

• User1032505138 posted

I have a large images folder used for Upload and Download with approx. 1.5 TB for a web site.
    My Website use AppPool_A.
    For performance reasons, do I need to create different Virtual Directory and different Application Pool (AppPool_B) for Images folder. Assuming, if the number of users increase in upload/download images the memory & cpu utilization will be more and App Pool recycle happens more often. And other impact is if Website and Images are in same App Pool, the application performance slow.
    Pls. suggest

Friday, February 20, 2015 6:08 AM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

HI bedideanil2,

bedideanil2

For performance reasons, do I need to create different Virtual Directory and different Application Pool (AppPool_B) for Images folder.

If you want to improve the IIS performance, what I am thinking is that you can enable cache in IIS to speed performance.

Internet Information Services (IIS) includes an output cache feature that can cache dynamic PHP content (or output from your Microsoft ASP.NET or classic ASP, or other dynamic pages) in memory. This can yield enormous performance improvements.

IIS automatically caches static content (such as HTML pages, images, and style sheets), since these types of content do not change from request to request. IIS also detects changes to the files when you make updates, and IIS flushes the cache as needed.  Further information: Configure IIS 7 Output Caching

Best regards,

Angie

Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:36 AM
  • User1032505138 posted
    Thanks.
    But I think enable cache can be implemented even if I create new Virtual Directory and new App Pool.

Question is, what are pros and cons, and any major performance improvements, if I create separate Virtual Directory and separate AppPool for large images folder.
    Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:40 AM
  • User-166373564 posted

HI,

Thanks for your feedback.

if you use multiple application pools, AppPools can run as different identities, so you can restrict permissions this way. At the same time if you have a website that has a memory leak or generally misbehaves, you can place it in an app pool so it doesn't affect the other web sites.

More hints about use additional application pools, you can see discussions below:

Why add additional application pools in IIS? 

Drawback to creating a separate IIS application pool for each website / application 

Best regards,

Angie

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 2:48 AM
  • User628865623 posted

well, pretty nice one thanks for sharing to us.......

http://www.onlinetest.ibpsexamguru.in/

Monday, December 21, 2015 6:55 AM