none
Is there anyway Natural language Processing (NLP) could be turned ON/OFF, if NLP is present in SP Search 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• We are using SP 2016- On-Premises Search , in our search when we search anything with "who is working with Java" , the results fairly vary to the search "Java" .

Is there any mechanism/scripts to control the Content Processing components in particular?

Intention is to turn off this intelligence so that we can do some external content processing mechanism and bring the relevant results for the users.

• Edited by John Zach Thursday, April 20, 2017 7:59 AM
    Thursday, April 6, 2017 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hi John, 

From your description, my understanding is that you want to achieve that when you search anything with "who is working with Java", return the results similar to the search "Java" .

The content processing component processes crawled items and sends these items to the index component. The content processing component performs operations such as document parsing and property mapping.

I think you cannot achieve your requirement by customizing Content Processing components. To achieve your requirement, as an suggestion, you should customize the search box to return the results like what you want. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 7, 2017 10:20 AM
  • My question is whether NLP is present in SharePoint 2016 and if it is YES how it can be turned OFF.

I see from this post that work breaker is one of the component in Content processing does similar job. 

technet Post

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Part of your question might be related to if 'work' is a stop word or not. 'Who', 'is', 'with' are all likely candidates to be stop words, or in other terms using a simple word matching process they're likely to be ignored. If it is not a stop word then even without NLP you'd have the different search results for 'work java' than just 'java'.

It sounds like you want to do some relatively deep dives into the search service. There are bits you can modify and bits you cannot, one bit that you can work with is the ranking model as described here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn169052.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:26 AM
  • But again in ranking Model we are going to define which gets higher weight and needs priority right?

The real question is to whether we can have any control over Content processing component in particular. There are several components inside content Processing Engine(as seen in below screenshot)- in particular- Word Breaker.  Do we have any mechanism to control this word breaker? , If yes how.

Regards, John Zachariah

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 9:51 AM