web application not updating after deployment RRS feed

• Question

• User1551708863 posted

To deploy my web application project I use one-click publish and web deploy. I assume all goes through fine since in vs output window after few seconds of waiting I see:

Updating setAcl (Myapp App).
    Updating setAcl (Myapp App).
    Updating filePath (Myapp App\Login.ascx).
    Publish is successfully deployed.
    ========== Build: 2 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========
    ========== Publish: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

In this case I have only made a label change on the Login form  and as you can see from above al went through fine. When I check the contents folder of the web application on the server the file is updated. But if I open the page in the browser the update is not there. I have cleared the browser cache, restarted IIS,, restart the application pool where this app runs but still no update sowing in the browser.  I checked the code it loads in the browser by using F12 and it still loads the file before update.

What I am missing here?

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thanks

Monday, February 10, 2014 9:45 AM

Answers

• User1551708863 posted

Once I have removed  App_LocalResources folder with all the resx files the ascx files update fine.

Smirnov thanks for all your replies and time

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:39 AM

All replies

• User1815411410 posted

hi there,

I would suggest you to tick the option "delete all the files on the destination server". By doing this, you will deploy every single file to the server properly.

Monday, February 10, 2014 10:30 PM
  • User1551708863 posted

hi

I have tried that but now when I browse to the application I get a list of directories and files of the application instead of the Login page.

Are there IIS settings I need to change to make it work?

thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:13 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

Usually a change on label does not require to restart IIS. So, it either browser cache (which you did clear) or anything else, e.g. wrong file/directory. Try to change and manually update the same file via ftp/remote session. Or try to create a new page, e.g. test.aspx, put some hello world content in it and copy manually. 

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:26 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

I have tried to manually  update the web file still didn’t work. I would try to create new test page as you mentioned but after republishing using web deploy and unticked  ‘ Leave extra file on destination (do not delete)’  I only get a list of directories and files of the application instead of the Login page.

thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:47 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

Let's focus on one thing - the site does not get updated. If you cannot make it manually then there is no reason to check wizard. Check if you can create and deploy a new file so that you can see if you could browse it online. Maybe you publish to a wrong directory...

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:37 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

The file that I tried to manually update was an ascx file and doesn’t work. But If I make a minor change to an aspx file it works.

Are ascx files referenced inside dll assembly and needs compiling ?

Thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:20 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

If you changed ascx file, deployed it and you do not have any special caching policy for ascx then the update should be visible without restart of anything. If you changed ascx.vb or ascx.cs code file then you need to compile dll and deploy it to the \bin directory. Update of ascx is not required in this case.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 8:55 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

I have checked the web.config there is no caching  rules for ascx fiels.  I am making changes to both web and code files, compile the application and then use Publish. If delete all files on the destination before I deploy all I see is a list of directories and files of the application in the browser. If a leave extra files on the destination (do not delete) then the content files seam to be updated but if I open then in the browser still loads the files before the deployment.

thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:23 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

ok but it still not clear if dll has been updated in target \bin directory.

1. Delete ascx, call page in the browser, do you get an error about missing ascx or it shows correct page?
    2. Try to deploy page and dll manually
    3. Check if you have same behavior in other browsers

Some other similar threads

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5196635/caching-issue-aspx-and-ascx-files-not-updating-when-saved
    http://forums.asp.net/p/1565870/3901604.aspx

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:34 AM
  • User1551708863 posted

-I have deleted the ascx file and get error about missing the ascx file.

-When I deploy manually dll and page are updated and picked up by iis and browser apart from ascx files. Same when I publish using visual studio.

-Checked in three different browsers, all the same.

Is there any other places apart from web.config to check if caching causes this headache ?

It is strange if I remove the ascx file I get error about the file missing but if I do un update to it the update is not picked up, the browser still loads the old file before the update

thanks

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:55 AM
  • User1508394307 posted

Is there any other places apart from web.config to check if caching causes this headache ?

It could be set inside ascx e.g. <%@ OutputCache Duration="xxx" VaryByParam="None" %> it could be set somewhere in the code. Try to search for "cache" within your solution.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 1:06 PM
  • User1551708863 posted

Once I have removed  App_LocalResources folder with all the resx files the ascx files update fine.

Smirnov thanks for all your replies and time

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 7:39 AM