Partnering using attribute vs. manifest RRS feed

• Question

• What are the considerations? How do they play with each other? Is there "best practices"?

Thanks,

-Vlad

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:28 PM

Answers

• As a basic rule of thumb I try to place all services which will change in a manifest files. This could e.g. be loading of simulated device vs. the real device. This way I can easily go from simulation to real world without having to recompile my services.

For services which are always needed I will use the Partner attribute, such that I don't have to remember them in multiple manifest files.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:58 PM

All replies

• I first used Partner attributes, and then switched to a manifest file because it was easier to manage.

Then, as my project grew, the manifest itself became difficult to manage. Think about having 15 services that all partner with each other. That's a lot of partner attributes and/or manifest entries!

My advice, at least my experience is, use ServiceForwarders and do your own partnering, without the attributes or manifests. It allows you to control when/how services are created, and then you can assure a service exists before you attempt to partner with it. It also makes for much easier scaling for larger projects.

With that said, I have seen arguements (from MSRS people) for Partner attributes over using a ServiceForwarder explicity. If you search the forum, I believe you can find a previous discussion on this.

-Don

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:41 PM
  • As a basic rule of thumb I try to place all services which will change in a manifest files. This could e.g. be loading of simulated device vs. the real device. This way I can easily go from simulation to real world without having to recompile my services.

For services which are always needed I will use the Partner attribute, such that I don't have to remember them in multiple manifest files.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 5:58 PM
  • Note that the new Dss Manifest visual editor makes it alot easier (and type safe) to manage service partnerships Smile

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:08 PM