Error running the Coded UI test RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to run an coded ui test. It ran till a certain point but after that it gives the following error:

"Test method ScanClient.CodedUITest1.CodedUITestMethod1 threw exception:
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.UITestControlNotFoundException: The playback failed to find the control with the given search properties. Additional Details:
    TechnologyName:  'MSAA'
    ControlType:  'Window'
    Name:  'ECM Scan Module - Index Document'
    ClassName:  'WindowsForms10.Window'
     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component."

What does this mean and how can I avoid this.

Thanks,

TAG

Monday, August 8, 2011 5:20 PM

Answers

• bi-tester,

This means your playback was unable to loacate an MSAA (Winforms) type Window with a title of "ECM Scan Module - Index Document".  The class which this control belongs to is referred to as WindowsForms10.Window in code.  Due to this being a Window, it is likely you have a window with a dynamic title (i.e. it changes depending on cirumstance).

I am going to assume this is the case, to fix this you have a couple options depending on your scenario.

UI Element not found due to Dynamic window name but containing Static name portion:

By default, Coded UI playback will search for the Window Title of the window which a given recorded UI element was found in.   To overcome this, add a default constructor which adds a new search property in the UIMap.cs file which is throwing the UIElement not found exception.  

public partial class UIMap{

public UIMap()

{

this.UIWindow.SearchProperties.Add(UIWindow.PropertyNames.Name,"SomethingStatic", PropertyExpressionOperator.Contains);

} 

You may also use this method to add the possible names your window can have (recommended if it is a small number, using PropertyExpressionOperator.Equals instead of PropertyExpressionOperator.Contains)

This can also be done using the Coded UI test editor

See:

Coded UI Test Editor in Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2

http://windotnet.blogspot.com/2011/07/coded-ui-test-editor-is-visual-studio.html

Disregarding Window Title as search property:

You can use the sample provided on Gautam Goenka's blog to remove the Window Title as a search property.

See:

Configure search properties used by recorder\code generation

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gautamg/archive/2010/02/02/configure-search-properties-used-by-recorder-code-generation.aspx

Cheers,

Paul

• Marked as answer by bi-tester Monday, August 8, 2011 8:08 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:50 PM

All replies

• bi-tester,

This means your playback was unable to loacate an MSAA (Winforms) type Window with a title of "ECM Scan Module - Index Document".  The class which this control belongs to is referred to as WindowsForms10.Window in code.  Due to this being a Window, it is likely you have a window with a dynamic title (i.e. it changes depending on cirumstance).

I am going to assume this is the case, to fix this you have a couple options depending on your scenario.

UI Element not found due to Dynamic window name but containing Static name portion:

By default, Coded UI playback will search for the Window Title of the window which a given recorded UI element was found in.   To overcome this, add a default constructor which adds a new search property in the UIMap.cs file which is throwing the UIElement not found exception.  

public partial class UIMap{

public UIMap()

{

this.UIWindow.SearchProperties.Add(UIWindow.PropertyNames.Name,"SomethingStatic", PropertyExpressionOperator.Contains);

} 

You may also use this method to add the possible names your window can have (recommended if it is a small number, using PropertyExpressionOperator.Equals instead of PropertyExpressionOperator.Contains)

This can also be done using the Coded UI test editor

See:

Coded UI Test Editor in Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2

http://windotnet.blogspot.com/2011/07/coded-ui-test-editor-is-visual-studio.html

Disregarding Window Title as search property:

You can use the sample provided on Gautam Goenka's blog to remove the Window Title as a search property.

See:

Configure search properties used by recorder\code generation

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/gautamg/archive/2010/02/02/configure-search-properties-used-by-recorder-code-generation.aspx

Cheers,

Paul

• Marked as answer by bi-tester Monday, August 8, 2011 8:08 PM
    Monday, August 8, 2011 6:50 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply, but I am sorry I am not able to solve this problem.

I have tried to change the search properties but I dont know which one I should  choose.

Can you explain this in steps?

Thanks,

TAG

Monday, August 8, 2011 8:08 PM