none
VB6 on XP/Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for some advice.

I am developing a fairly large app using VB6 running on XP. I do not use any databasing in it (e.g. ADO), although I use automation with Excel extensively. My company is in the process of converting to Vista over the next two years or so. In addition, the app I am wrting needs to be validated per FDA guidelines. Therefore, I want to be sure that what I write on XP can be readily deployed on Vista with minimal re-coding as that may affect the validation.

Since I am relatively ignorant on the subject of OS's, I thought I would turn to the experts here.

A couple of questions...

How confident can I be that my VB6 app developed on XP will run on Vista? What kinds of code mods will I need to make (pre- or post-facto) to ensure the highest level of compatibility?

If I re-wrote the apps using VB.NET running on XP, do I gain an advantage in terms of compatibility when I deploy it on Vista? Note: I would need to learn VB.NET first, requiring more time and money. It may be inevitable, though.

Thanks for all your help!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 4:47 PM

All replies

• If you are developing for an OS/ Office suite you should preferably develop on that OS/ suite or have that OS/ suite constantly available for compatibility testing. You can do that on one machine with virtual machines but I personally prefer physically separate computers. I currently have about 5 on the go Win 95/ Office 95, Win 2000/ Office 2000, XP/ Office 2002, XP/ Office 2003, Vista/ Office 2007.

It is essential that you understand the OS upon which your users will be using your app, you as a developer must be ahead of (or at least equal to) them in that understanding.

As a VB6 developer myself I suggest that compatibitlity problems with the Office 2007 suite may be greater than those you experience with the Vista OS.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Thanks, magic ink.

>> As a VB6 developer myself I suggest that compatibitlity problems with the Office 2007 suite may be greater than those you experience with the Vista OS.

I just found out this morning that my company is going to foist Office 2007 on us starting in July 2008, mandatory by September 2008. 

• What kinds of problems do you experience?
    • How do you programmatically overcome them?
    • Is there a way to write code so it works with OS2003 and OS2007?
    • Do these problems go away with VB 2005?

Thanks again!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:21 PM
  • One example is .SaveAs; because Office 2007 uses its new format by default if you want .xls (97-2003 compatible) files you'll need to do;

If Val(ObXl.Version) < 12 Then
       .ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "SomePath.xls"
    Else
       .ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs "SomePath.xls", 56 '56 = xlExcel8 in Excel 12; the xlExcel8 constant is undefined in versions of Excel<12
    End If

Quite a few other qwirks which I am still discovering since May 2007.

Quite apart from the API there is the change in GUI for Office 2007 which is quite unusual, you should really try to be ahead of your users in that too.

Minimal, but unpleasant, experience with VB.NET so no comment on that front.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 10:51 PM