none
VS 2015 adding extra unused reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Question

• After upgrading from VS 2013 to VS 2015, my ASP.NET web application build output now includes an extra unused reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll .

I can't find any reference to this dll in the solution or in any of the NuGet package dependencies.

We don't use any version of Sql Server.

Does anyone know why VS 2015 is adding this extra unused reference and how to stop it from continuing to do so?

Jeff

Monday, March 28, 2016 2:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Jeff,

>>We are not missing a reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll. VS 2015 is adding this file to the build/publish output.

If you create a new simple ASP.NET app in your VS2015, whether it still has this reference?

To really help you repro this issue in VS2013 and VS2015, could you share us a simple sample? So we could know that whether the VS2015 really add a dll file which was not really called.

Before we merge an old project to the high VS version, we often think about the VS compatibility.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Do you get any compiled error in your output or Error list window? If the app worked well, how about removing this dll file in your current VS2015, and then rebuild your app, run it again.

If it worked well, I agree with you, it would be a real feedback for the VS2015.

But if it has the compiled error or warning after you remove it, one possible reason is that some functions have been changed from the old VS2013 to the VS2015.

Maybe you could change the project property like the .NET Framework version or the platform target which used the same settings as your previous VS2013 like the .NET 4.5.1 or others. Re-run it again.

If still no help, please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the one drive, and then share the download link in your post. Please also attach a screenshot image in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Jeff,

Based on this document:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlserverce%28v=vs.100%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

It would be related to the  SQL Server Compact 4.0.

So if you still have the VS2013 Environment, you could research this dll file in that machine, and check that whether you could get this dll file.

But if you have updated the VS2013 IDE to VS2015, maybe you could test it after you installed this package:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-hk/download/details.aspx?id=17876

In addition, you could also use the Find and Replace tool in VS IDE to research this namespace in your whole solution, maybe it is a reference in the config file or others.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:34 AM
  • We are not missing a reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll .

VS 2015 is adding this file to the build/publish output.

We don't have any references (in source code, project references, or nuget packages) in the solution to SqlServerCe.

We don't use SQL Server Compact or any other version of SQL Server.

I used the exact same code in VS 2013 yesterday to do a built that did not output the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll file.
    But when the same code is built using VS 2015, then the output includes the System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll file.

BTW, your download link does not work for me.

Jeff

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

>>We are not missing a reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll. VS 2015 is adding this file to the build/publish output.

If you create a new simple ASP.NET app in your VS2015, whether it still has this reference?

To really help you repro this issue in VS2013 and VS2015, could you share us a simple sample? So we could know that whether the VS2015 really add a dll file which was not really called.

Before we merge an old project to the high VS version, we often think about the VS compatibility.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh266747.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Do you get any compiled error in your output or Error list window? If the app worked well, how about removing this dll file in your current VS2015, and then rebuild your app, run it again.

If it worked well, I agree with you, it would be a real feedback for the VS2015.

But if it has the compiled error or warning after you remove it, one possible reason is that some functions have been changed from the old VS2013 to the VS2015.

Maybe you could change the project property like the .NET Framework version or the platform target which used the same settings as your previous VS2013 like the .NET 4.5.1 or others. Re-run it again.

If still no help, please attach your Visual Studio project, you can upload it to the one drive, and then share the download link in your post. Please also attach a screenshot image in your post.

If there's any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Jack

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 11:16 AM