none
Which display template is used in Community Site Popular Communities web part?

Question

• I understood that the web part appear at Community Portal is "Content Search web part". I wanted to have a similar web part but with different Display Template. I edited the web part and found that "external template reference" shows at item template under Display templates. What is the file name for this display template? Where is this file stored?

I really do not know what "external template reference' means

Thanks.

• Edited by MC ROY Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:11 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Riovanne,

Follow the below reference to create a content search web part like community site popular communities webpart,

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/tothesharepoint/2014/01/21/add-and-configure-the-recommended-items-and-popular-items-web-part-in-sharepoint-server-2013/

Display Template Path:

Go to site Settings -> Masterpage and layouts -> Display templates -> Content Web parts

Thanks, Kaviya Balasubramanian | Microsoft MVP - Office Servers and Services (Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you)

• Edited by KaviyaMVP Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:06 PM Image Added
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:05 PM
  • Hi Riovanne,

The “External Template Reference” shows in the Display Template drop-down lists because there are no .html files associated with the .js files in Site Settings > Master Page and Page Layouts > Display Templates.

Please check if you have activated the following Publishing features.

1. On the Site Collection Features page, activate SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure.

2. On the Site Features page, activate SharePoint Server Publishing.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Tried that but still shows as External Template Reference. There should be an existing Display Template file used. I need to know this so that I can copy that and modify to what I need.
    Sunday, April 02, 2017 1:58 AM
  • Hi Riovanne,

Please navigate to site Settings > Master Page and Page Layouts > Display Templates > Content Web Parts, check if there are not .html files in the folder.

Try creating a new site with publishing features enabled to see if the issue exists.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, April 03, 2017 2:02 AM