none
Standard name for a "Software-first" driver installer??? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!  I've inherited a situation w/ little local knowledge support and little knowledge of my own.  I'm going to err here on the side of brevity and ask that readers be patient w/ me and ask for any details they might need; in turn, I will do my best to provide answers to such questions.

I work for a small-ish hardware manufacturer that had one software engineer who was responsible for this; the company hired me one week before she retired and now I'm the one person responsible for this, and no one else around here knows about this stuff.  "This stuff" is Device Driver Installation Programs, specifically, DDIP's for "software-first" driver installation, which is what I'm charged w/ producing for a new product launch.  Now, the driver package that needs to be installed has already been MS certified, and works w/ PnP, i.e., we already support "hardware-first" installation; we just want to support software-first installation also, because it's not implausible that users might need to try to install the driver package w/out an internet connection. 

I've found oodles and oodles of doc online on this topic and have begun to go through it, but here's the thing: early in my reading, of course, I was introduced to the WDK, and, as it turns out, this is already installed on my computer, which was my predecessor's computer.  This leads me to suspect/hope that she may have actually already created the required software-first installer--or one for a different product/driver package that I could use as a template--before she left (I know she was working on the over-all project) and just "forgot" to tell anyone that she had done so and/or where to find it.  And, of course, the WDK folder structure is large and complicated, and I don't even know what I should be looking for.  So, let's say she did produce a DDIP before she left--or maybe a "project" for building one--is there a naming and/or extension standard, e.g., along the lines of vcxproj for a Visual C++ Project file, that could give me a clue as to what I should be looking for?

Thanks for your help,

SeabirdDLG

Sea-Bird DLG

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:06 AM

Answers

• If this is a modern PnP installer, then search the files with grep or "Find in Files" in Visual Studio for difxapi.h  This would be uses if the installer was modern.  You might just look for "difx" since if she used invoked the Microsoft installer that should be found.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:20 AM

All replies

• If this is a modern PnP installer, then search the files with grep or "Find in Files" in Visual Studio for difxapi.h  This would be uses if the installer was modern.  You might just look for "difx" since if she used invoked the Microsoft installer that should be found.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:20 AM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply!  I'll look for that, thanks!

DLG

Sea-Bird DLG

Friday, August 15, 2014 12:32 AM