Error "Failure to connect to SQL Server with provided connection information. SQL Server does not exist, access is denied because the IIS user is not a valid user on the SQL Server, or the password is incorrect." during synchronization with SQL Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing the above error "Failure to connect to SQL Server with provided connection information. SQL Server does not exist, access is denied because the IIS user is not a valid user on the SQL Server, or the password is incorrect."  when syncing\replicating with SQL Server database(in Server) from local SQLServer CE database(in client machine), with the protocol TLS 1.2 enabled in the server. I'm getting this error right after execution of SqlCeReplication.EndSynchronise() API.

But it works well without any error when TLS 1.2 is not enabled in Server (User NT AUTHORITY\IUSR is used for connection by replication agent when TLS 1.2 is not enabled, as evident from SQL Server Profiler). 

Kindly let me know root cause or if any extra care is required when TLS 1.2 is enabled. Because it is a must to enable TLS 1.2 in the server.

Note: SQL Server CE 3.5 SP2 Server Tools is installed in Server.

Regards,

Abhilash

• Edited by snabhi Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:22 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 10:20 AM

Answers

• I am guessing that the old SQL CE Sync tools does not support TLS 1.2 and since they are out of support, they never will be able to do that.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by ErikEJMVP Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikEJMVP Sunday, December 22, 2019 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:26 PM

All replies

• I am guessing that the old SQL CE Sync tools does not support TLS 1.2 and since they are out of support, they never will be able to do that.

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by ErikEJMVP Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by ErikEJMVP Sunday, December 22, 2019 8:45 AM
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:26 PM
  • Thanks Eric.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 11:43 AM