Workflow problem - STAGE_INFO is DBNull RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I am facing a very frustrating issue with our workflow. Our workflow has few stages. When submitting workflow from stage 2 to stage 3 sometimes on Workflow Stage Status Project Detail Page is written "The value for column 'STAGE_INFO' in table 'WorkflowStatus' is DBNull." What is very weird is that this happens only occasionally. All activities that are defined in workflow to execute when submitting workflow from stage 2 to stage 3 are successfully executed and also workflow stops at stage 3 as it is supposed to.

Actions that are being executed when moving from stage 2 to stage 3 are: read project name, rename project set value of some custom field, send email and publish project.

Any idea why is this happening or what actions should I take resolve this problem? 

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like there is an exception in your workflow code, have you setup exception handling and logging to trace all actions and what might go wrong?
    Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Yes I have. I have added FaulHanlderActivity. What is strange to me is that even if I see that message workflow activites are executed successfully (project is successfully renamed and published and so on). It is also very confusing that this message is generated randomly. To me it does not sound like exception in my workflow code.

Any other suggestions?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Does any body have a solution for this? Even a troubleshooting hint would be helpful, because if I debug this workflow via Visual Studio no exception is raised...

Any help would be very useful.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Does anyone has any updates/resolution on this?

Thanks,

Vishal

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:44 PM
  • Hi Vishal, can you narrow down what circumstances trigger this exception? I have got that exception reading or writing to the custom fields where I had some parameter wrong - I can't remember exactly it may have been trying to get a value from the TXT_Value field when the custom field was of type NUMBER or when working with a custom field that had a lookup table attached and I was trying to insert the value directly instead of finding the correct GUID for that lookup value.

Keep walking through your code and narrow down your test cases so you can replicate at will. Once you can do that then you can walk through and see where it is going wrong.

Hope this helps

Ray

Ray Letts Arbutus Solutions
    • Proposed as answer by Vishal28 Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Vishal28 Thursday, April 28, 2011 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:53 PM
  • It's happening in PS 2010 Custom Workflow while submitting on a random stage. I am not reading any custom field or doing any PSI work ,except WF making PSI calls behind scene.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Pretty much the same issue here. It would be very helpful if I knew in what circumstances this message is shown to user.

Have you guys find anything?

Monday, May 2, 2011 8:30 PM
  • Hello everyone

I am facing a very frustrating issue with our workflow. Our workflow has few stages. When submitting workflow from stage 2 to stage 3 sometimes on Workflow Stage Status Project Detail Page is written "The value for column 'STAGE_INFO' in table 'WorkflowStatus' is DBNull." What is very weird is that this happens only occasionally. All activities that are defined in workflow to execute when submitting workflow from stage 2 to stage 3 are successfully executed and also workflow stops at stage 3 as it is supposed to.

Actions that are being executed when moving from stage 2 to stage 3 are: read project name, rename project set value of some custom field, send email and publish project.

Any idea why is this happening or what actions should I take resolve this problem? 

Thanks in advance

Same problem here. It occurs occasionaly and I guess it's a Project Server bug. I don't have any exceptions. Everything is logged in faulteventhandler and there is no exception.

I have set all my workflow stages to "Checkin required". Then the error occures not that frequently.

Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi folks!

Have anyone some new insights on this topic? I'm developing a Project Server Workflow and get the error nerly every time I submitt a project. There are no exceptions in my Workflow.

TYA

Tomek

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:03 AM
  • Hi,

I have written a number of Visual Studio custom PS workflows and never seen this behaviour you describe.

What I can say though is that the STAGE_INFO is set using the updateProjectStageStatus activity which must be run after each setProjectStage activity is run. So can you confirm that you are correctly setting the StatusInformation property using the updateProjectStageStatus activity when you see this error?

HTH,

Martin Laukkanen (Project Server Blog - www.nearbaseline.com/blog)
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Hi folks!

Have anyone some new insights on this topic? I'm developing a Project Server Workflow and get the error nerly every time I submitt a project. There are no exceptions in my Workflow.

TYA

Tomek

It seems like a bug on slow systems where workflow stage is running for rather long time.

I found a solution :)

After digging into html code of ProposalStageStatus.aspx showing the error I found a div on which the error is being shown

<div id="idInlineErrorContentDiv" style="width: 100%; padding-top: 10px; padding-bottom: 10px; padding-left: 10px; padding-right: 10px; color: #ff0000; text-align: left; overflow: auto; display: none;">
                      <span id="idInlineErrorContentSpan"></span>
                   </div>

so the solution was to find .js file which fills the error message in this layer

the file is

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\INC\PWA\LIBRARY\PDPLib.debug.js

(There is the same file without debug BTW - but I see usage of this file)

and inside of the file we find a function:

PDPInfrastructure.DisplayInlineError = function pdpInfrastructure_DisplayInlineError(message) {

inside which we change the behavior - to analyse the content of the string and not to show this particular error - just refresh the page (refreshing shows new stage without error):

PDPInfrastructure.DisplayInlineError = function pdpInfrastructure_DisplayInlineError(message) {
        ULSj6S: ;
        PDPInfrastructure.LastInlineError = message;
        if (message.indexOf("STAGE_INFO") != -1) {
            idInlineErrorContentSpan.innerHTML = "";
            location.reload(true);
        }
        else
            idInlineErrorContentSpan.innerHTML = message;

idInlineErrorContentDiv.style.display = "block";
    }

Save the file AND DELETE BROWSER CACHE so IE downloads the new version of .js file

That's all :)

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:40 AM
  • @Pavel: It don't seems to be a good workaround. It's only a workaround for this moment. If you install the next Cummulative Update for Project Server this .js file will be overwritten. It's not an option for me.

@Martin: Yes. Every time I'm using SetProjectStage I use UpdateProjectStageStatus as well.

I think Pavel is right with his assumption that this error only occures on slow machines. The machines on which this error occure have the minimum specs that Microsoft proposes. They are slow but it should work there as well.

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Tomasz, I have installed December CU (and changed there) - it works fine :)

I also use this approach for my other problem:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/project2010custprog/thread/9b6de803-4dd3-433c-8795-eb04989a89e9

Just disable this error message also (unable to checkout)... if no other solution...

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Did you changed the .js file and then installed the December CU? If yes it could be luck ;) If Microsoft do any change to this .js file in future CUs this wouldn't work.

BTW: I have posted a solution for your other problem ;)

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:48 PM
  • No... I made this change after installing CU ;)

thanks for reply for other question...

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:07 PM
  • I'm pretty sure that you have to do this change every time after installing a CU.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 1:41 PM
  • A short update on this.

This was a bug in Project Server. It was fixed in this hotfix: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2598375

This hotfix is part of June 2012 Cumulative Update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2712235

Tom

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:26 PM
  • That's nice :) less than 2 years have passed...
    Sunday, February 3, 2013 10:24 PM