none
Bing Map API internal server failure at geocoding query "IROC Science to Innovation AG" RRS feed

• Question

• When I run this query:

dev.virtualearth.net/REST/v1/Locations?key={my key}&query=IROC+Science+to+Innovation+AG

The server gave me a 500 error:

{
    authenticationResultCode"ValidCredentials"
    brandLogoUri: ...
    copyright"Copyright © 2013 Microsoft and its suppliers. All rights reserved. This API cannot be accessed and the content and any results may not be used, reproduced or transmitted in any manner without express written permission from Microsoft Corporation."
    errorDetails
    [
    1]
    0:  "Your request could not be completed because there was a problem with the service."
    -
    resourceSets
    [
    0]
    statusCode500
    statusDescription"Internal Server Error"
    traceId"50750ed539634a27bfb0b5a6c7e8e6ac|CH1M001472|02.00.183.2300|CH1MSNVM001393"

}

which is likely to be caused by a server side bug. Is it possible to fix it?

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 8:34 PM

Answers

• Several issues with this query. The first is that the wrong type of encoding is being used. Spaces should be %20 not +. The second issue is you are doing a point of interest search in a Geocoding service. This will not work. A geocoder takes an address and provides a coordinate. You need to use a point of interest service. If using the AJAX or Win8 controls then used the Search Manager library in those API's, it will be much easier to implement. IF you need to use a service there is the Navteq POI data in the Bing Spatial Data Services and the Bing Maps SOAP Search service.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 24, 2013 9:19 AM