SharePoint designer wf not scheduling correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have sharepoint designer 2010 workflow on a task list.  The wf will schedule the next task when the current one has completed.  There is a field to select for weekly, monthly, etc...  I did not create this workflow but I do have to support it and it does more than just create a new task in the task list.

The problem that I am facing is that a task that was scheduled for Monday Oct 29th gets rescheduled for Sunday November 4th.  This task should have been rescheduled for Nov. 5th - 7 days after the 29th. I have created many tasks in this list and have discovered that when a task was completed in October and the next task is scheduled in November the task is one day short.  i.e.  tasks that should be scheduled for Monday are now on Sunday.  This has been running for several years without problems until now.

From what I have tested is that the task that was created at 6 days out, instead of 7 days, later does this twice.  The task above that got scheduled for the 4th, then gets scheduled for the 10th then the rest of the tasks after that get scheduled correctly at 7 days out (but now on the Saturday).

Anybody have any ideas on why this may be happening or how to fix it?

Thanks & regards

Jon

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• Jon,

Just a thought. Is it possible that daylight savings is causing the issue.  Instead of scheduling for 12:00 AM on Monday, is it scheduling for 11:00 PM on Sunday?

Ed

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, November 23, 2012 3:32 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

Do you start the scheduled workflow from Information management policy settings?

If not, I would like suggest you to use it instead, since we can start the workflow recurrently and conveniently.

Then check following 2 timer job:

information management policy (runs first) and expiration policy

make sure it running weekly or daily.

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 9, 2012 9:01 AM
  • Emir;

This is a list workflow created in SPD and is not running from the policy settings.  The wf, in its simplist terms, creates a new task when the old one is completed.  This only occurs when the task that was scheduled in October is completed and the new one is created and scheduled in November.  No other months over the course of the year does this happen.  I have also been able to replicate this on other site collections too.

The timer jobs are running correctly as expected.

thanks - Jon

Friday, November 9, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Jon,

Just a thought. Is it possible that daylight savings is causing the issue.  Instead of scheduling for 12:00 AM on Monday, is it scheduling for 11:00 PM on Sunday?

Ed

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, November 23, 2012 3:32 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:48 PM
  • It is a possibility that it may be related to DST but I do not think so.  There are two times that it reschedules it for 6 days instead of 7 days out.

It schedules correctly for the next time change in March.  It does not work correctly again over the October November 2013 schedule either.  Again it goes wonky on the exact same day - November 4th.  I wonder if that is a developers Birthday or their dead-man switch.

Btw I have opened a ticket with Microsoft for this.

Jon

• Edited by JSantarelli Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:45 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Hi Jon,

It makes sense that it still works in March. the time change is in a positive direction.  instead of sheduling it for 12:00 AM it schedules it for 1:00 AM. which is still the same day. 

I would recommend scheduling the new task for sometime after 1:00 AM then the time change will never push it back a day.

Ed

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 3:54 PM