How to force remove AppX Packages?

Question

• We are noticing that very often in development, some of our HTML5/JS apps will get stuck and unable to deploy a new version or test with visual studio. Pressing F5 to run in VS, or deploying the package directly from AppPackages all stop working, and the system appears to be in a weird state. No amount of rebooting or fiddling seem to help. We try to run the powershell "Remove-AppXPackage" to remove the packages manually but it still doesn't work.

It seems to happen on apps that have been published to the store already, and we are developing an update for the app.

Here are some example errors:

Error 1 Error : DEP0900 : Failed to unregister application "12345Company.Game1_1.0.0.1_neutral__kx24dqmazqk8j". 
     Game1

Remove-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CFA, Removal failed. Please contact your software vendor.
    (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80073CFA)

What can we do to make these packages depoloyable again???

We would like to force the uninstall of the AppX Package I assume, but remove-appxPackage gives errors (with nothing else listed in the Event Log), and the package still remains on the list show by get-appxPackages.

Friday, October 19, 2012 6:39 PM

All replies

• I found I have to first uninstall  the one from the market. Then run the new one.

If it got stuck I have to reboot. Then I could delete the package.  

Friday, October 19, 2012 7:12 PM
  • I tried to reboot and delete the package. It appears to get uninstalled, but visual studio still gives this error:

Error 2 Error : DEP0700 : Registration of the app failed.  (0x80073cf9
    Friday, October 19, 2012 7:33 PM
  • I am experiencing this as well. Has anyone figured out how to get around it?

I'll add that the app is uninstalled. I'm not sure why it's trying to uninstall it.

• Edited by Steven.A.S Sunday, March 31, 2013 5:56 PM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 5:54 PM
  • Go to your app data folder and remove all data. It is C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Local\Packages\[your app family name]\

Bob Bao

Do you still use the same Windows 8 LockScreen always? Download Chameleon Win8 App quickly, that changes your LockScreen constantly.
    你是否还在看着一成不变的Windows 8锁屏而烦恼,赶紧下载这个 百变锁屏 应用,让你的锁屏不断地变化起来。

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:03 AM