Error when trying to build RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to run a Team Build on my local machine, connecting to our lab TFS server. This has been working before.

Now I'm getting a TF42056 error (Requested registry access is not allowed). Any suggestions on why and what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Christian

Thursday, November 16, 2006 9:03 AM

Answers

• It sounds like the account used to run the build service on the build machine no longer has access to the registry.  You could turn on tracing in the tfsbuildservice.exe.config file by uncommenting the diagnostics section and restart the Team Build Service Windows service (tfsbuildservice.exe.config is in c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\common7\ide\privateassemblies).  If that doesn't help diagnose the problem, you could try using the Sysinternals RegMon utility and filtering on tfsbuildservice.exe to see exactly what the error is.  Sysinternals is available from microsoft.com: http://blogs.msdn.com/buckh/archive/2006/11/15/all-of-the-sysinternals-tools-in-one-download.aspx.

Buck

Thursday, November 23, 2006 2:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Christian,

Please take a look at this earlier post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=380144&SiteID=1

Swaha

Friday, November 17, 2006 3:26 PM
  • Hi Swaha,

Thank you for trying to help.

I have looked at that post and can't find anything in my config that should cause the error. It has actually worked before.

My theory is that our operations have added some policy causing the problem but I have a hard time to get them interested if I can't point them in very close proximity to what is causing the problem.

So any suggestions are welcome.

Christian

Friday, November 17, 2006 7:28 PM
  • Do you get this error when you try kicking off the build itself? Are you a member of the builders group on the TFC now?
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:22 PM
  • It sounds like the account used to run the build service on the build machine no longer has access to the registry.  You could turn on tracing in the tfsbuildservice.exe.config file by uncommenting the diagnostics section and restart the Team Build Service Windows service (tfsbuildservice.exe.config is in c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\common7\ide\privateassemblies).  If that doesn't help diagnose the problem, you could try using the Sysinternals RegMon utility and filtering on tfsbuildservice.exe to see exactly what the error is.  Sysinternals is available from microsoft.com: http://blogs.msdn.com/buckh/archive/2006/11/15/all-of-the-sysinternals-tools-in-one-download.aspx.

Buck

Thursday, November 23, 2006 2:13 AM
  • Thank you for the answer. RegMon did the trick. Seems like I all the sudden didn't have permissions to parts of my registry even if I'm in the administrators group. Gave my self full control and then all was working.

Regards, Christian

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:21 PM