choices during installing instance of SQL 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise 64-bit. I need to add instance of SQL 2008 because of deploy DPM 2010, Virtual Machine 2007 R2 and Operations Manager. What components should I select during adding instance? See the picture. Thanks.
    Petr Weiner
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:39 PM

Answers

• Really, you need to answer this question.  You need to do a little bit of research about each of the three features and find out whether or not they are required.  Full-Text search will require some dialogue with the application team.  Also, if you can take a look at the other instance and see what it has installed.  You can do that using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    • Proposed as answer by Peja TaoEditor Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Petr Weiner Friday, September 2, 2011 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Depends.

1. If this instance does not require Full Text search, Replication, Analysis Services(SSAS), Reporting Services(SSRS) then your current selection of Database Engine should be good enough. If any of these features are needed then you need to check that box as well.

2. Alternatively you can check all the boxes and install everything. If you are not sure about SSRS you can always install it without configuring. For SSAS after the installation you can go to the configuration manager and stop the service from running if you do not need that feature.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:24 PM

All replies

• Really, you need to answer this question.  You need to do a little bit of research about each of the three features and find out whether or not they are required.  Full-Text search will require some dialogue with the application team.  Also, if you can take a look at the other instance and see what it has installed.  You can do that using the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
    Tuesday, August 30, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Depends.

1. If this instance does not require Full Text search, Replication, Analysis Services(SSAS), Reporting Services(SSRS) then your current selection of Database Engine should be good enough. If any of these features are needed then you need to check that box as well.

2. Alternatively you can check all the boxes and install everything. If you are not sure about SSRS you can always install it without configuring. For SSAS after the installation you can go to the configuration manager and stop the service from running if you do not need that feature.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:24 PM
  • {
    Database Engine Services and both subfeatures, SQL Server Replication and Full-Text Search
  • Reporting Services
  • Management Tools – Basic (also enables the Management Tools- Complete feature)
  • SQL Client Connectivity SDK
    }

• Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:52 PM